Hen pooped egg yolk and white! Help!!

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
Howdy yal!
I was just outside locking up the chickens when I noticed something rather unusual. My almost 2 year old Red Sex Link hen was standing over a pile of liquid. Naturally, I went over to investigate. As I approached, I noticed that the liquid was indeed an egg. I thought that maybe she had layed it in an odd place and it had broken, but there wasn’t/isn’t an egg shell in sight. I was about to take a picture of it, but one of my other slurped it up before I could do anything:hit:oops::mad:
The egg had a piece of green feces floating in the white. That’s why I think that she pooped it shell-less. After I walked away, she looked like she was straining to poop again...maybe to pass the shell??
This hen is extremely healthy, yal! She free ranges all day and is fed a non-GMO, organic layer feed. Her comb is bright red, also. Unfortunately, the past few day I have been noticing that she has a poopy/matted bottom. I didn’t think anything of it.
Do yal have any ideas of what is wrong with this gal! And what I can do to help?
Note: I do try to keep it natural here on the farm.

Thank yal in advance!
Blessings,
4 GA Hens

This kind of thing does happen on occasion... May or may not mean a bigger issue is coming. I'd be concerned about the matted bottom and try to get that cleaned up but doubt this was the main cause of the shell-less egg. It MAY be tied together with the actual cause though... Part of the bigger problem/issue. Only time will tell on that for sure. I'd watch her over the next several weeks and see if the issue persists.

This kind of thing does happen on occasion... May or may not mean a bigger issue is coming. I'd be concerned about the matted bottom and try to get that cleaned up but doubt this was the main cause of the shell-less egg. It MAY be tied together with the actual cause though... Part of the bigger problem/issue. Only time will tell on that for sure. I'd watch her over the next several weeks and see if the issue persists.
Okay! Thank you:)

Back
Top Bottom