Hen or Roo? 8 week old Easter Egger

Hen or Rooster?

• Total voters

lizandjoegetchickens

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
I purchased 7 chicks from a local feed mill and they are now about 8 weeks old. Yesterday I got rid of a Black Copper Maran that was very obviously a rooster and this morning I was very upset to hear more crowing first thing in the morning! I know it is a bit early for a true "crow" but it definitely sounded like it and only happens in the morning. This is the bird in question. I was told the breed is an Easter Egger. This is the largest bird and also tends to pick on the other birds the most/the most aggressive. The comb is darker than the other Easter Egger I have, but it also has always been larger than the other (so perhaps they were not the same age when I got them?). Very interested to hear your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_4200.jpeg
    IMG_4200.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    820.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4204.jpeg
    IMG_4204.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 8
That is definitely a cockerel, sorry. The huge, bright red comb this early on as well as the uneven, splotchy red coloring and leakage gives it away. Not to mention the crowing. That’s a dead giveaway.

i have also had the same thing like this happen a year ago when I couldn't tell if a hen was a rooster I then looked at it for a while cockerels tend to have bigger tails and waddles then pullets and are usually bigger to the same age pullet or chick

Back
Top Bottom