Hen only lays when I leave town

Winchikn

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Slocan Valley, British Columbia
Funny story ...

I have a 5 year old Easter Egger hen who is my favourite chicken (don't tell the others). She's a snuggler, who will fly into my arms and rest there contentedly as long as I'll let her. She was laying intermittently last year, took a nice long break over the winter following her fall molt, and then decided to lay a few eggs in February or so. Since then, she's pretty much stopped laying.

Except that every time I've left town over the last few months (3 times total) - and my husband has been looking after the chickens - she starts laying again while I'm gone and then quits again when I get home.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Funny story ...

I have a 5 year old Easter Egger hen who is my favourite chicken (don't tell the others). She's a snuggler, who will fly into my arms and rest there contentedly as long as I'll let her. She was laying intermittently last year, took a nice long break over the winter following her fall molt, and then decided to lay a few eggs in February or so. Since then, she's pretty much stopped laying.

Except that every time I've left town over the last few months (3 times total) - and my husband has been looking after the chickens - she starts laying again while I'm gone and then quits again when I get home.

Anyone seen anything like this?
For one thing, that chicken who flies into your arms to snuggle is priceless. I have silkies that snuggle, but they couldn't fly if they were paid to with meal worms.

Nope, never heard of it but when a chicken is 5, that's getting up there in age and not strange that she stopped laying, but some chickens WILL still lay intermittently. I'd say it's coincidence.

How do you know they're her eggs and not another hens? Is there something unique about color or shape that would allow you to confirm it when you're not around to witness it?

Is there anything differently he does in terms of managing them when you're not around, i.e. he does or doesn't feed treats, he lets them out of the coop or run earlier or later, etc.

For one thing, that chicken who flies into your arms to snuggle is priceless. I have silkies that snuggle, but they couldn't fly if they were paid to with meal worms.

Nope, never heard of it but when a chicken is 5, that's getting up there in age and not strange that she stopped laying, but some chickens WILL still lay intermittently. I'd say it's coincidence.
I know - it's really got to be a coincidence but she literally hops in the nesting box the day after I leave. So cheeky 😄 And priceless, no doubt.

I got eggs out of almost every one of my flock of 5 year olds the last two days. I can't believe what good layers they still are!

I’m hoping my chickens get to the point of flying/running to me and letting me hold them… as for the laying, that is hilarious (not for you). Are you sure they’re her eggs? Maybe she lays for you to come home!

I’m hoping my chickens get to the point of flying/running to me and letting me hold them… as for the laying, that is hilarious (not for you). Are you sure they’re her eggs? Maybe she lays for you to come home!
Definitely her eggs - she's the only blue egg layer! Maybe she is trying to entice me home.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time hanging out with my chickens when they were 'little' and have two that got pretty attached. They will fight over sitting in my lap or being held, even though I don't have quite as much time to devote to them the last year or so. It's very sweet ❤️

Back
Top Bottom