Hen injured from Raccoon/Possum attack, what do I do?!

lbartsch

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
My husband forgot to close up the coop tonight and we were hit by a raccoon or possum. We got out there fast enough to limit the predators take to just one hen. However, another one (Easter Egger about 4 months old) ran into the bushes to hide. While my husband ran into the house to get my help, the predator came back and tried to grab the Easter Egger. We came out and scared the predator away but the hen has a bad looking cut along her back. It looks like the skin is torn away from an area about the size of a silver dollar or so. I'm afriad she'll get an infection or something. I have no idea how to treat it. We moved her into an enclosure in the garage to keep her away from the other chickens but what do I do for her? How do I help her? Thanks!

So sorry to hear of this! I am certainly no expert but I read on here the other day that the vet closed a wound on a chicken with crazy glue. Maybe you could clean it really well, and try that? And then put some antibiotic ointment on it and keep her away from the others till it heals up.

Hope to hear updates. Good luck!

Marcy

When I went back downstairs to try to clean her wound out with Hydrogen peroxide, I found that she had a much bigger wound on her leg. I took her to the emergency vet and they are going to try to repair everything. Waiting for word. Send healing vibes!

I think she'll be fine! We had one chicken with the entire leg ripped off at the hip (also raccoon) and I just sewed her up with needle and thread and she became a healthy 1-legged silkie after a week in the house recovering. I just put her food/water next to her head she she didn't have to get up to reach for it. There is also some silver-spray-stuff in a can that the vet gave us for open wounds. It lets the skin grow back somehow and it's like a miracle. Any time we get any chicken with an open wound we just spray it on and it's healed within days, so you might ask the vet for a can of that also to have on hand for future events. It works on open wounds for other animals too.

Also, don't feel bad about leaving the door open. It has happened to most of us. Another common thing is forgetting to check the autowaterers every day (in case they clog or malfunction). I've had several friends lose chickens that way too, and we almost did but thankfully noticed just in time before they died of thirst.

Last edited:
Quote:
I looked and it's called AluSpray aerosol bandage. I don't know if there's a waiting period for eating the eggs afterward though. Just in case, I wouldn't eat the eggs for awhile afterwards.

Thanks for all the awesome advice. Here's the good news and bad news update.

Our Rhode Island Red seems to have escaped the attack with no damage at all. YAY!

Our Easter Egger is recovering with lots and lots of stitches. She woke up from anesthesia and ate and drank and roosted on her injured leg. All good signs. She is napping know quite nicely. But her leg was "depants" meaning all the skin and some muscle tissue was pulled down her leg. It is so gruesome I can't even begin to tell you. According to the vet, whether or not she makes it will depend on whether the skin they sewed back up will die or not. He thought it was 50-50. She seems super strong so I'm staying positive. She's on antibiotics and we'll see how it goes.

Our Silver Laced Wyandotte turned out to have a pretty big open wound too. She is getting stitches right now. She'll be on antibiotics too. barring infection or something weird I'm hoping she'll live too.

Our Australorp was eaten. : (

If we make it out of this with three living chickens I'll consider it a win. My poor husband (who's turn it was to close the coop) feel awful but luckily our daughters aren't giving him a hard time. He is so distracted and tired from work that he just forgot. Don't think he'll forget again after last night.

Chicken surgery is expensive and this really cost us. But, when I take responsibility for an animal's life, I feel like I have to live up to that and do what it takes if there is a good chance of survival.

I'm going to look for that spray bandage stuff, sounds awesome.

Thanks again for the advice and I'll keep you all updated.

Quote:
Good for you!
thumbsup.gif

As for your husband, we've all done exactly the same thing...it happens. Its just tragic that a predator was there that night.

As for healing, chickens are very tough animals and they are survivors.

Back
Top Bottom