Hen flies right at me?

thrustbucket

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
I have one black sex-link that will, on occasion, start following me around. If I stop she looks at me really strange and will sometimes just fly right at my chest. She also has been known, in the coop, to try and jump on me, I think she's trying to jump on my head or shoulder?

I can't figure out if she is trying to be mean or what. She doesn't really seem to like to be held (none of my chickens do), but I'm trying to figure out how to interpret this behavior.

Welcome to BYC! I have two favorite hens who do that to me when they want attention. When they fly up I cradle them in my arms and usually cuddle and scratch around their ears for a few minutes....

Does she fluff herself up when running at you??
Could be she's trying to dominate you - maybe you ought to pick her up and walk around with her.
Either way then you'll win. If you is just wanting cuddles - you win! If she is trying to dominate you - you win!!
wink.png

Chicken love nothing like seeing acouple of your hens racing/flapping across the yard just to say HI well OK sometimes I encourage this by having a little snack on me 1 Silver grey Dorking 1 Goldenlaced Wyandotte 1 Bufflaced bearded Polish 1very big Standard Poodle also one great man & one man/boy 16

She doesn't seem like she's trying to be mean but I am new to chickens and their behavior. She usually only does it when the sun starts to go down and she 'settles down'. She jumps up on things and gives me that look where you just know she's looking to jump at me.

I am hoping it's out of affection of some type, but she is also the dominate hen (I only have 3) so i have wondered if she's trying to dominate me too.

Back
Top Bottom