HELP sick hen

AmyP716

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Michigan
I found my hen laying on her side today. She is alert but can't stand and just flops in her side. I checked for egg bound, she's not, she is breathing fine and will drink if I put the water by her. She had scaly leg mites but is recovering. She is about 4 years old. I brought her inside and put her in my cool basement. It's been hot the last two days like mid to upper 80's. Anyone have any other suggestions on what to do. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 32
Sorry about your 4 year old hen. Will she take some sips of water held up to her beak? I would place her in some bedding or on rolled towels in a normal position. Hold water up to her beak to drink from a small can or cup. Make some watery chicken feed mash and offer that with a bit of egg. Has she had any balance issues or trouble walking in the last few days? Have you added any new chickens to the flock recently? Mareks is a concern, but it usually strikes younger chickens under a year old unless a new carrier has exposed them. Do you have a rooster who may have hurt her back, or hens that would have kept her from water and food? Is she able to move her legs when you try to stand her up?

Sorry about your 4 year old hen. Will she take some sips of water held up to her beak? I would place her in some bedding or on rolled towels in a normal position. Hold water up to her beak to drink from a small can or cup. Make some watery chicken feed mash and offer that with a bit of egg. Has she had any balance issues or trouble walking in the last few days? Have you added any new chickens to the flock recently? Mareks is a concern, but it usually strikes younger chickens under a year old unless a new carrier has exposed them. Do you have a rooster who may have hurt her back, or hens that would have kept her from water and food? Is she able to move her legs when you try to stand her up?
Yeah she will drink water if I hold her up. Her legs do move and I got them under her and she was sitting normal for a while. I do have a rooster. I don't think he hurt her he is much smaller a mix of bantam and full size chicken.

Could you give her a human calcium citrate tablet or Tums orally in case she could be lame from a stuck egg? I would give her some human vitamin B complex and a little vitamin E 400 IU daily as well which might help for a neurological problem or deficiency. A chicken sling chair with food and water attached may be made for her to get her more upright, to keep her cleaner, and to make it easier to eat. Here are some examples along with the basic design and a video on the first 2 pages:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Could you give her a human calcium citrate tablet or Tums orally in case she could be lame from a stuck egg? I would give her some human vitamin B complex and a little vitamin E 400 IU daily as well which might help for a neurological problem or deficiency. A chicken sling chair with food and water attached may be made for her to get her more upright, to keep her cleaner, and to make it easier to eat. Here are some examples along with the basic design and a video on the first 2 pages:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thanks I think I chair would help. I went to check her a little bit ago and she laid an egg but still seems to be the same. 🤷‍♀️

Sometimes there can be a second egg or shell-less egg coming right behind. So give another calcium or Tums once a day for a few days. Is she straining any or passing any droppings? Is she eating and drinking any this am?

Sometimes there can be a second egg or shell-less egg coming right behind. So give another calcium or Tums once a day for a few days. Is she straining any or passing any droppings? Is she eating and drinking any this am?
She is drinking today and seems a bit better. But still won't stand up

So she had a big poop. Does it look normal?

Attachments

• IMG_9716.jpeg
    IMG_9716.jpeg
    922.1 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom