HELP IDENTIFYING AND SEXING CHICKS

They told me the breeding was Araucana and White Leghorn. I totally believe it two of mine are tail less and one has puffy cheeks, ear tuffs, and one looks like a black leghorn. And boy are all for fast!! And can fly!!

Last edited:
Easter Eggers have varying comb growth rates, since they are mixed breeds. If the chicken was a cockerel then it would have pointed hackles, not rounded hackles.
The chick isn’t old enough to have those pointed hackle and saddle feathers growing in yet. The chick is around 9 - almost 10 weeks old. In the next few days to the next few weeks the saddle feathers should start coming in to be definitive. However I have noticed that EEs, although being mutts, the pullets don’t get red or larger combs until they are close to laying.

The chick isn’t old enough to have those pointed hackle and saddle feathers growing in yet. The chick is around 9 - almost 10 weeks old. In the next few days to the next few weeks the saddle feathers should start coming in to be definitive. However I have noticed that EEs, although being mutts, the pullets don’t get red or larger combs until they are close to laying.
Gender-specific feathers, in all of my experience, start at six weeks. Of course it varies but for the trained eye, you can spot it out sooner.

Gender-specific feathers, in all of my experience, start at six weeks. Of course it varies but for the trained eye, you can spot it out sooner.
Color specific feathers can tell the sex at around 6 weeks once they are fully feathered in, you are correct. However, the pointed saddle and hackle feathers don’t come in until 10-12 weeks of age. Before then all of those feathers will be rounded.

Color specific feathers can tell the sex at around 6 weeks once they are fully feathered in, you are correct. However, the pointed saddle and hackle feathers don’t come in until 10-12 weeks of age. Before then all of those feathers will be rounded.
Not in my experience, but all breeds are different so you can also be correct. I see your reasoning and it is right. It depends on the individual, every chicken is different.

Back
Top Bottom