Help :) I don’t know if my hen is sick or molting

akbfarm1206

Hatching
Feb 14, 2023
About a week ago I noticed one of my black australorp hens (about 3.5 years old) wasnt going outside and seemed to be just hanging out on the floor of the coop. Monday, I noticed she had cornered herself in a corner of the coop. I thought she may have been egg bound. She is carrying her tail down, is very lethargic, and has watery light green-yellowish poops. She is eating and drinking okay. I tried Epsom salt baths but didn’t get any results. I noticed she has a lot of new feathers growing so could she just be going through a hard molt?

This is my first sick chicken and I don’t know how to tell what’s wrong or how to help her. I feel so helpless!

If your seeing pin feathers coming out of her skin increase her protein intake. A molting chicken will act withdrawn or behave like she's sick. It's important not to let other chickens pick on her.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
Could you get a picture of her?
When was her last egg?
I’m not sure when her last egg was. Here’s some pictures from this morning. She was very wobbly to walk but did come to me for some treats.

Attachments

• FFB6903F-047E-4B30-BC1A-0A81CA1BA14F.jpeg
    FFB6903F-047E-4B30-BC1A-0A81CA1BA14F.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 7
  • D908E473-6CE2-47B2-A1AD-5B8B664D2CF0.jpeg
    D908E473-6CE2-47B2-A1AD-5B8B664D2CF0.jpeg
    910.7 KB · Views: 8
  • A6EA69C4-ABA7-4534-AE30-B00360AE1223.jpeg
    A6EA69C4-ABA7-4534-AE30-B00360AE1223.jpeg
    694.1 KB · Views: 7
I’m not sure when her last egg was. Here’s some pictures from this morning. She was very wobbly to walk but did come to me for some treats.
She is not molting, looks like feather picking to me maybe.
With the position she's in I think she has a reproduction issue going on.
Is her abdomen bloated? The abdomen is located in between the legs underneath the vent.

She is not molting, looks like feather picking to me maybe.
With the position she's in I think she has a reproduction issue going on.
Is her abdomen bloated? The abdomen is located in between the legs underneath the vent.
Yes I’d say it’s definitely bloated.

Yes I’d say it’s definitely bloated.
The she has a reproduction issue going on, which most of the times cannot be treated.
All you can really do is drain her abdomen of fluids to give her some comfort. Her abdomen will fill up again and need draining at some point again.

Back
Top Bottom