HELP!!duckling hatched with yolk still attached

chickel

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
NH
My first duckling hatched last night on day 25 instead of 28. It still has a large yolk sack and cord attached. what should I do? It is still in the incubator. Should I keep the thing moist or let it dry out? Cut it? Leave it alone? The duck is peeping and moving, but not standing yet. It is still wet.
It's belly is very large and egg shaped compared to the rest of it. Is that normal?
The yolk sack is bloody.

Thanks for any help at all.
Kelly

Last edited:
Leave the incubator closed and let it have more time to finish absorbing. I know it is hard to watch but be patient it may still work out fine. Incubator temp. may be a bit high. Good luck

Quote:
Agreed!! Good luck! I'm sorry, I know it's hard having something like this happen.
hugs.gif

Thanks so much! I always seem to need help in the middle of the night and am amazed that I always get replies. You all are amazing!

So I kept the situation under a warm wet washcloth and the little duckling wiggled itself free from the yolk sack and the "cord" detatched on its own. It is peeping and trying to stand and is drying. I hope these are good signs.
fl.gif

How long before it should stand on it's own? Now I'm worried about spraddle leg.:
roll.png

Since it didn't absorb all of the yolk should I try to feed it early?

Thanks again,
Kelly

Last edited:
clap.gif
Good to hear. I would give it at least another day in the bator. He will do best if he is fully fluffed dry when he comes out. If you have any other eggs in the bator they still have days to hatch, they will be jepordized if you open the bator now. Do not worry about food and water it will be fine for a few days. Is he calling out?

Thankyou for the encouraging news! It's nice to hear of one in the same boat that made it.

I moved him into the brooder today because he wasn't getting dry in the incubator because of the high humidity. In the brooder he is drying. He is eating, drinking, peeping, pooping and almost walking normally. He is still very wobbly, but is doing SO MUCH BETTER than initially.

His belly still seems large and egg like.
Is that normal? This is my first duckling to hatch.

Should I put antibiotic ointment on his belly where the "cord" separated?

Thank you bunches!

Back
Top Bottom