help 24hour old chick eyes closed cant get up

Status
Not open for further replies.

missfitfarm

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
I have a recently hatched chick around 24 hours old and it has not opened its eyes and can not seen to get up and walk with the other chicks this baby took 2 days to hatch from its egg i dont know if that matters i went out to check chicks a while ago and everyone was up and eating with the mama but this one was all alone laying in the nest.

if anyone has any suggestions that would be great it seems like it can not get its self on its feet
i brought it in the house and put it under heat hoping it will be ok

it is probably dehydrated...give electroytes/vit (goatorade if you do not have on hand or even diluted pedioyte)... be careful and ensure it can swallow it itself to prevent aspiration into the lungs then dribble along beak... Good Luck!

thanks i have been getting it to drink small amounts of water by bringing it to water and dipping its beak in it seems to be swallowing it ok i will go buy what it needs right now should what type of gatorade should i give it? watered down? and shold i dip his beak in it or what sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure it survives if it is dehydrated should i turn off the heat lamp i put it under? it is not cold in the house i brought it inside to help it out

well if you can get proper electrolytes for birds that is really the best...otherwise the sport rehydration gatorade will do in a pinch... when rehydrating the fluid should be lukewarm...and you should do quite frequently as it probably isnt getting much in at one sitting...dip its beak in to help or else dribble it along side the beak... if your store has a watermelon you can cut off a chunk , scoop a bit out (making a kind of "bowl") and put some yogurt in there (live culture not the desert kind)
> sprinkle some chick starter in it too so the feed will not be "dry" > all this will help to keep it from dehydration...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom