Hello!

Matilda84

Chirping
Feb 6, 2024
I am a new member to BYC but have been using it as a useful source of information for a few years now! So here is my introduction:

Hi I'm Amy! I am originally from Australia but have been living in England for the past 6 years. I have had a total of 7 chickens over the past 4 or 5 years and currently have 4. My old hen is called Violet and my relatively new chickens are Bean, Pumpkin and Oreo. I first got chickens as I had been nagging my parents for a pet dog for years and chickens was the next best thing (although I do now also have a lovely rescue dog named Luna), but since then I have discovered a love for chickens and birds of all kinds and they are definitely now my favourite animal! I also want to be a vet and will be applying to vet school later this year (scary!) so I hope to maybe be able to help some people with any chicken health problems they may have in their flocks. I have completed the very useful and interesting BHWT and University of Nottingham's Poultry health course on Future Learn as well as experienced a range of chicken health problems in my own chickens (including bumblefoot, egg peritonitis, egg binding, sour crop, impacted crop, pendulous crop, lameness, bullying, and mites - we have been a little unlucky with some of our girls!). Finally, I am currently taking an EPQ (a research project) which I have decided to focus on the topic 'How effective are the prevention measures for bird flu in the UK?, due to the recent outbreaks and subsequent housing orders sparking my interest in the subject. I will hopefully be posting a survey for bird keepers on the forums soon and would be very grateful for any participants so keep an eye out for that!

It is great to finally be a part of BYC!

Back
Top Bottom