Heat lamp vs Heating Pad

Pics
The responses I've gotten re no heat source needed has me greatly puzzled, however I bow to your expertise. That being said, then would shavings be a 'warmer' nesting vs straw during the chilly nights?
I’m new to the group and new to chickens. That said, all the advice I’m getting from experienced chicken owners says no heat needed (and I’m in Michigan with relatively cold winters). We use pine shavings because it does better keeping the coop nice and dry. I’m told that straw is a better insulator for holding in heat but I hear such mixed reviews about straw holding moisture as well which is no good. My plan is to stick with pine shavings and maybe add some chopped straw into it for the coldest temps. Then monitor often to make sure it stays dry. Hope that’s helpful!!

Tonya,
Thanks, however I don't agree with you as far as heat not needed 'anywhere in California', but as I mentioned heat lamp and hay does have me concerned and I appreciate your warning of the danger.
Does anyone on here have further advise re heating pad or other heat source besides heat lamp?

I have also have a Cozy Coop & am in California. Unfortunately It doesn’t throw the heat very far so they really have to be close to it to get the benefit but it I like that they have the option at least.

I have also have a Cozy Coop & am in California. Unfortunately It doesn’t throw the heat very far so they really have to be close to it to get the benefit but it I like that they have the option at least.
Thanks for that.

I’m new to the group and new to chickens. That said, all the advice I’m getting from experienced chicken owners says no heat needed (and I’m in Michigan with relatively cold winters). We use pine shavings because it does better keeping the coop nice and dry. I’m told that straw is a better insulator for holding in heat but I hear such mixed reviews about straw holding moisture as well which is no good. My plan is to stick with pine shavings and maybe add some chopped straw into it for the coldest temps. Then monitor often to make sure it stays dry. Hope that’s helpful!!
It is helpful because I've never heard of using chopped straw. I appreciate posting your method of caring for your chickens during the winter temps.

Just because California is warm compared to everywhere else doesn’t mean critters don’t feel cold. How you cope with temperature changes depends on what you are used to and what your body has adjusted to more than the absolute temperature. Best option would be to offer them heat and see if they enjoy it. If not then they don’t need it. If they do seem to enjoy the heat then, while they might be fine/survive without it, why wouldn’t you want them to have it?

Just because California is warm compared to everywhere else doesn’t mean critters don’t feel cold. How you cope with temperature changes depends on what you are used to and what your body has adjusted to more than the absolute temperature. Best option would be to offer them heat and see if they enjoy it. If not then they don’t need it. If they do seem to enjoy the heat then, while they might be fine/survive without it, why wouldn’t you want them to have it?
The comments and input of those who do not agree totally out number those who do. After much consideration of each and every response and after discussion with my partner we have come to the conclusion and agreement that supplemental heat should be available for our two member flock when temperature requires. What we are still discussing is straw or shavings or hay and/or any combination thereof for their bedding.
Once again, I am very thankful for each and every member who took the time to give their opinions, share their experiences and offer their advise. That is very much what I wanted when I listed my query and I am pleased with all of the input, it gave me the wonderful opportunity to learn more about chickens and about the members of BYC. THANKS!!

With winter coming, this weekend we dusted off the heat lamp and checked the wiring to make sure it was ready to go when chilly nights arrive here in the Bay Area of California. Now I know it cannot possibly compare to the 'real' winter many chicken lovers on this forum have, that being said, what with Chelsy deciding to go into full molting she is gonna get chilly in the house with her bff without some heat source. Every winter I worry about the safety re the combination of straw and heat lamp even though the lamp is a good 4+ feet over the straw bedding I still get worried. Is a heating pad a better idea? and if so, what about the possibility of scratching and pecking at the pad? Or do you think the heat lamp is fine? I have two roosting bars so they can either get close to the lamp or scootch away from it.
I live 35 miles NW of San Antonio, Texas and our winters dont get as cold as up north but I still use heat lamps in winter. My enclosed part of coop is 4'x8'x7' and I use 2 heat lamps. They hang about 5' from the deep Pine Shaving floor and are securely tied. I didnt run into any problems with them. However, with the suggestion of some of the folks, here on this site, this winter I'm gonna add a timer and Fire Alarm, as well, just to be on the safe side. Hope this helps.

This year we are trying out the Cozy Coop.
https://www.cozyproducts.com/products/cozy-coop

I have heard good things about it’s safety, uses less wattage, and the birds can warm when they want.
I have one , works great. looks like a small screen flat tv. sits right on the floor and my 4 girls love it. Spoiled chicks . love them too much to make their life miserable.

Sweeter Heater or K & H heating pads. Have used them both for years with No problems whatsoever. While some may argue supplemental heat is not necessary, we want our birds to be comfortable. With the Sweeter Heater, if they don't feel the need of extra heat, all they have to do is move a few inches away. They do not heat the air, only the bird.
Climate change has brought about radical temperature swings. In recent years we get 70 to 80 degree drops overnight. A few years back we actually had a near 100 degree change in just over 36 hours. Severe enough to kill mature trees. Can't be good for any living thing. Why put your flock through such stress when a few dollars worth of electricity will make their lives more humane and enjoyable?
Thanks for this! I’m going to go out and see if i can find either of these! I worry about my birds being cold. Overprotective chicken mother!!!! 😊

Never thought about putting hay in there vs straw, hmmm. Besides being softer, do you think it's warmer? I like the idea about hay with shavings in their boxes.
I don’t know if it’s actually warmer, but for sure softer and they really seem to love it! Im adding shavings in today, just for extra warmth. Im thinking it might be the winning combination!!!! 😊

Back
Top Bottom