Hatched chicks in incubator knocking around other eggs not hatched yet, is this okay?

StacyTN

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Ooltewah/Chattanooga, TN
Okay, so last weekend I had my first ever eggs hatch in the incubator. Once the first one came out I freaked out because it was stumbling all around and moving around the other eggs. I didn't know if this was okay, so i took it out within minutes of it hatching. I ended up with 6 haches out of 7 I knew were good and all are thriving so far.
I know most say to leave them in until they fluff out but I did take all out not long after hatching because again they would knocked & roll around the others.

Is it okay for the others to get knocked around?

thanks

No, it's not okay for the others to get knock around. I have the same problem. Someone recomended to me that you put the eggs small end down into egg cartons during lockdown. I'm going to try that this hatch. It won't affect their ability to hatch and since they are in cartons, once others hatch, they can't knock them around. And yes, you're supposed to leave them in the incubtor until they are fluffy. You stop turning them before lockdown so that they can get into hatching position and figure things out, when other chicks push them around, they can become disoriented and some won't hatch because of it. Anyways, thats my personal experience.

Thank you, that is what I was really thinking but I just wasn't sure what others did to prevent this. I mean, as for the first I just hatched they were really bebobbing it around real quick and yes, they were knocking the heck out of the others.
thanks

Any other suggestions on how to prevent tihs situation?

thanks

No, not really, you just need something to stablize the eggs, I cut up toilet paper centers into a bunch of little cardboard rings and tried that, but the eggs were still pushed around, I think the egg cartons would be your best bet and I will be trying them out this hatch, I'm setting the eggs later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom