Hanging PVC feeder for fermented feed with baffle

ShannonO

Chirping
Feb 3, 2017
I recently moved my first-ever chicken flock to their outdoor coop/run. They are 4 weeks old. I wanted to continue to feed fermented crumbles but needed a feeder that would work as my chicks grow out of the red chick feeder trough, and because they fill it with litter and overturn it every day.

I found a piece of 5’ long piece of 4” inside diameter PVC at home. I designed based on that.

Requirements:
  • Off the ground
  • Variable height
  • Removable for cleaning
  • Able to install a baffle, also removable for cleaning
  • Sufficient for full daily rations for a flock of 10-16 birds

I over-engineered and also paid more than needed because of poor prior planning.

Materials:
  • 4” inside diameter PVC pipe, 4’ long
  • PVC end caps
  • Eye bolts to screw into the PVC (2), 3-4” long
  • Nuts (4, to double-nut the eye bolts to the PVC to prevent the nuts from backing out
  • Eye screws to screw into the structural 2x8 of my coop’s henhouse (2)
    • I got ⅜” or 5/16” I think
  • Two wide washers that fit the eye bolts
  • Two lengths of chain 30” each (that ended up being too long)
  • S-carabiners (4, for connecting the chain and eye bolts, and chain and eye screws)
    • Definitely could have used much cheaper s-hooks or carabiners. Bought chain before I chose these, and the chain link was too small for the cheaper alternatives
  • ½” screws to connect the end caps to the PVC pipe. This helps keep the caps on but was also quicker than glue, definitely not toxic, and removable if needed
  • For the baffle:
    • 4.5’ length or more of wire
      • I bought 1/16 (I think) because that's what I needed to used the fasteners that were pictured. Could probably use thinner wire and crimps
    • 4’ of ½” PVC pipe
      • I cut this down by about 10” by the end. Your mileage may vary.
    • Wire clamps suitable for the gauge wire you have. Mine look like this.
Tools used:
  • Jig saw, to cut the PVC lengthwise
  • Saw horses
  • Quick clamps, to cut the PVC, sand down, and install caps
  • Chop saw (not necessary but convenient to cut the PVC to length)
  • Sandpaper, sander, or sanding sponge. I think we used 100 grit
  • Drill and bits for each screw size
  • Tiny wrench for the wire fastener nuts, or a needle nose
  • Tape measure
  • Marker or pencil
  • (Optional) Wire cutter

Steps:
  1. Cut PVC to length
  2. Cut PVC to trough. I cut a little less than ½, more than ⅓ off the pipe.
    1. I drew a somewhat straight line from end to end with a tape measure and two assistants. I then eyeballed the second cut so I'd have a bit more than 1/2 the pipe for my trough. I measured the cut to the mark on one end and matched the same on the other end.
  3. Sand edges down well
  4. Clean
  5. Attach end caps with screws. With all screws in this project, Drill holes first.
  6. Attach eye bolts.
    1. Put washers on the inside of the PVC, and double nut. Wrench the nuts right to each other.
  7. Attach eye screws to your Coop to the length of your PVC.
  8. Attach s-carabiners to the eye screws and chain, and the eye bolts and chain.
  9. Adjust height
  10. Attach fastener to one end of wire
  11. Attach wire loop to on s-biner on the eye bolt. This is why the PVC-connected eye bolt should be 3-4 inches long. It allows for a good starting baffle height.
  12. Thread the ½” PVC onto the wire.
  13. Start to create the second end loop.
  14. Stretch the wire across the structure. This may be more efficiently achieved with a partner.
  15. Screw or crimp down your wire fastener as you hold the wire as tight as possible across the feeder.
  16. Add food and watch chicken TV.

I’m sure I’m forgetting important details. If I’ve omitted useful tidbits, please let me know and I’ll update the OP. Oh, I spent about $50 :eek!: Kinda ridiculous. And I complete guessed about the length needed. Probably could have been shorter for 10-16 birds?

Thanks to this community for providing everything I have so far needed to start our chicken journey. Thanks to these threads on fermented feeders, which provided a jumping-off point and ideas for my feeder. Among many other things, I know from these threads that I need to watch for irritation of my birds’ combs and wattles. I can raise and lower the baffle as needed.

It’s been in use for a grand total of two days, three feeds, and only with 4-week old standard birds. They immediately started standing on the food when I hung it and added feed. I have not seen anyone stand on or in it since adding the baffle, and no evidence of poop was discovered.

Here are some photos:

Cutting the PVC into a trough. This is me practicing bad safety. Tie up your hair, and wear eye and ear protection, folks!:

Fasten the end caps:

There are the end cap fastening screws:

Eye bolts in the end caps:

Too-expensive s-biners attached to the eye bolts and wire, and the wire u-bolt clamps.

Finished product:

Getting the job done:

Back
Top Bottom