Handraising pigeon questions

I'm using the syringe method. I cut the tip off a syringe and covered it with a glove finger.

Try just using a syringe. Gently open its mouth by very lightly squeezing at the base of its beak, and it should just open, and you can place the tip of the syringe very gently in its about about 1/4" to deposit the formula. You should only have to do this once or twice until the bird learns this is how it gets food, and very quickly the bird will learn the syringe tip means a meal, and at that point the bird will open its mouth for you easily because its hungry. At that point you just gently inject the formula into its crop. At first, when the crop is empty, it will take the formula so fast it's almost as if you're injecting it directly into its crop, but as it gets fuller it will close its mouth and be a bit more deliberate about ingesting the formula.

I'm using the syringe method. I cut the tip off a syringe and covered it with a glove finger.
Okay good, that is a safe way to do so, and most similar to how a parent feeds. Other methods you risk aspiration. I use a tube directly into the crop but that takes some practice.
Be sure there is enough formula in the syringe, so that the beak can stay fully covered, otherwise he will take in air which may be what is causing the air in his crop.

23 grams today! Crop still fills with air, but otherwise healthy and happy.
20240515_073809.jpg

Maybe the air is accidentally entering the crop through the syringe? I’m not familiar with the consistency of the formula but maybe the syringe needs to be flicked to free the air bubbles.

His crop was filled with a clear liquid instead of air about 6 hours ago. I did not feed him because it was extremely full and waited another 3 hours. This time it was still full. I gave a bit of applesauce and put him back. He is still pooping. Is this sour crop?

I have Medistatin on hand, but I'm unsure how much to give. It makes me a bit nervous for him to go too long without food so I gave a very small ammount of applesauce

Back
Top Bottom