Grow up thread with Pineapple🍍, Watermelon 🍉 , and Kiwi 🥝

CaliFarmsAR

Free Ranging
5 Years
Apr 26, 2019
Arkansas
Welcome to my thread!

I thought it would be really fun to document a thread on my three special chicks, who I love so dearly. The plan is to post weekly so y’all can watch their growth!!
@african chickens, @Bakbuk, @Pierre duck drake? Wanna see my new chicks?

They’re all a barnyard mix and hatched from blue eggs, so some sort of EE cross, also, I have no clue on gender. Hopefully all pullets, but with my luck I’ll get a cockerel or two 😂

Let’s meet the babies!! :jumpy
1. Pineapple 🍍
Pineapple had a rough start to life… she was stepped on by her mama who busted her egg sac (she wasn’t ready to come out yet), but thanks to everything I’ve learned on BYC, we were able to act fast enough and save her. I rushed her inside, put her in a paper towel, inside a cup, and under a heat lamp so she could try to absorb her yolk to the best of her ability. It was quite a few hours before she started to respond, the only thing I could hold on to was she had a good steady breathing, which, I knew was able to turn bad fast.

Hours past and she still had been breathing strong, when all of a sudden, we heard a loud “peep!” from the kitchen where she was. After that one peep, she had been going good when things took a turn. She started to stay huddled in the corner of the box… I really wasn’t sure what to do, so I contacted someone who could help me out. We decided to mix up some Electrolytes and Probiotics for her to drink as I like to give all my new babies that as a “jump start” (only in spring/summer).

After drinking some of that, eating some food, and chilled with her buddy, Watermelon, she really perked up! Now Pineapple is doing great, a little weaker than the other two, but doing very well considering everything she’s been through. She’s got such a sweet little personality already and loves people ❤️
93AC96E7-E109-4444-8A3B-DA29346FBD86.jpeg
93C34A12-A06F-40D4-BE64-A607CA0B7A0B.jpeg

2. Watermelon 🍉
Ok, so Watermelon kinda had the normal story of hatching, she was put under a heat lamp though, instead of being left under the broody duck due to the duck had accidentally killed some other chicks by stepping on them and I wasn’t up for losing another chick, on top of that the duck was who busted Pineapple’s yolk sac. So for safety reasons I decided to take her in.

Watermelon is a spunky, bold, stout, and very independent lil lady (kinda makes me think cockerel 🫣 but who knows). She gets along well with her siblings, but is also the one who starts pecking wars 🤦‍♀️😂
2551FFCF-1F7C-4D47-9D1B-8FA1F1FEF313.jpeg
C921C2FB-DC7C-422D-B93D-9901FB1E2C76.jpeg

3. Kiwi 🥝

Kiwi hatched late last night or super early this morning under the duck, she is the only chick who successfully hatched and made it. She is a lil sweetheart, a bit timid, but overall a sweet thing 🥰
08B5A7A1-5B14-4DB1-8213-CFEF5D47E2CC.jpeg

Welcome to my thread!

I thought it would be really fun to document a thread on my three special chicks, who I love so dearly. The plan is to post weekly so y’all can watch their growth!!

They’re all a barnyard mix and hatched from blue eggs, so some sort of EE cross, also, I have no clue on gender. Hopefully all pullets, but with my luck I’ll get a cockerel or two 😂

1. Pineapple 🍍
Pineapple had a rough start to life… she was stepped on by her mama who busted her egg sac (she wasn’t ready to come out yet), but thanks to everything I’ve learned on BYC, we were able to act fast enough and save her. I rushed her inside, put her in a paper towel, inside a cup, and under a heat lamp so she could try to absorb her yolk to the best of her ability. It was quite a few hours before she started to respond, the only thing I could hold on to was she had a good steady breathing, which, I knew was able to turn bad fast.

Hours past and she still had been breathing strong, when all of a sudden, we heard a loud “peep!” from the kitchen where she was. After that one peep, she had been going good when things took a turn. She started to stay huddled in the corner of the box… I really wasn’t sure what to do, so I contacted someone who could help me out. We decided to mix up some Electrolytes and Probiotics for her to drink as I like to give all my new babies that as a “jump start” (only in spring/summer).

After drinking some of that, eating some food, and chilled with her buddy, Watermelon, she really perked up! Now Pineapple is doing great, a little weaker than the other two, but doing very well considering everything she’s been through. She’s got such a sweet little personality already and loves people ❤️View attachment 3472644View attachment 3472640

2. Watermelon 🍉
Ok, so Watermelon kinda had the normal story of hatching, she was put under a heat lamp though, instead of being left under the broody duck due to the duck had accidentally killed some other chicks by stepping on them and I wasn’t up for losing another chick, on top of that the duck was who busted Pineapple’s yolk sac. So for safety reasons I decided to take her in.

Watermelon is a spunky, bold, stout, and very independent lil lady (kinda makes me think cockerel 🫣 but who knows). She gets along well with her siblings, but is also the one who starts pecking wars 🤦‍♀️😂View attachment 3472643View attachment 3472638

3. Kiwi 🥝

Kiwi hatched late last night or super early this morning under the duck, she is the only chick who successfully hatched and made it. She is a lil sweetheart, a bit timid, but overall a sweet thing 🥰View attachment 3472641
Awww! Definitely following, Cali!

Good luck with your beautiful babies. This is going to be so much fun to watch!! :love:love:love

I have a sad update…
Pineapple passed away. It was unexpected, but my sister did say when she got up, she was having a seizure… 💔

Pineapple, my dear lil chick, you will be greatly missed and always loved.

Watermelon and Kiwi are growing like weeds and are very healthy. I’m really excited to see how they turn out, Watermelon is getting a bar pattern and Kiwi is getting a cinnamon color. 🥰

1. Watermelon
EED8BCEB-1099-4D7F-97C4-2ABF620F870D.jpeg

2. Kiwi
D87FD8E5-234F-4D8A-8440-3499103DD4D0.jpeg

Welcome to my thread!

1. Pineapple 🍍

After drinking some of that, eating some food, and chilled with her buddy, Watermelon, she really perked up! Now Pineapple is doing great, a little weaker than the other two, but doing very well considering everything she’s been through. She’s got such a sweet little personality already and loves people ❤️View attachment 3472644View attachment 3472640

2. Watermelon 🍉

Watermelon is a spunky, bold, stout, and very independent lil lady (kinda makes me think cockerel 🫣 but who knows). She gets along well with her siblings, but is also the one who starts pecking wars 🤦‍♀️😂View attachment 3472643View attachment 3472638

3. Kiwi 🥝

Kiwi hatched late last night or super early this morning under the duck, she is the only chick who successfully hatched and made it. She is a lil sweetheart, a bit timid, but overall a sweet thing 🥰View attachment 3472641
They're so cute! I'd put money that Watermelon is a little cockerel, look at that comb! :lol:

I have a sad update…
Pineapple passed away. It was unexpected, but my sister did say when she got up, she was having a seizure… 💔

Pineapple, my dear lil chick, you will be greatly missed and always loved.
I am so sorry she passed away, :hugs it's never easy on the heart when they go. 💔

Back
Top Bottom