Gave rooster away, he came back!

Jtaranc

Chirping
Sep 26, 2022
Hey everyone! So I had 2 roosters that were fighting. They were both hatched here at my farm. When theyd fight my turkey would jump in and then one of them started getting the best of my turkey. The turkey ends up with flystrike. We live in the country and I have a neighbor all the way down the street who raises chickens for food. I gave the rooster to them thinking they'd eat him. They just put him in their yard where their other roosters started beating on him.

I didn't know this right away cause I work in an ER overnight and husband dropped him off.

The neigbor lives a good ways away. Maybe 100 acres between our property. We never walk there, we drive.

Two days later I am stunned the rooster is at my gate trying to get back to our property. I picked him up and he's so light and he's all beat up. I can tell he's sore.

I have him in the house giving him eggs and electrolytes. What the hell? Has anyone heard of roosters coming back home?

I have a co worker who lives in another town who will take him for her hen only flock.

Attachments

• 20240513_183434.jpg
    20240513_183434.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Hey everyone! So I had 2 roosters that were fighting. They were both hatched here at my farm. When theyd fight my turkey would jump in and then one of them started getting the best of my turkey. The turkey ends up with flystrike. We live in the country and I have a neighbor all the way down the street who raises chickens for food. I gave the rooster to them thinking they'd eat him. They just put him in their yard where their other roosters started beating on him.

I didn't know this right away cause I work in an ER overnight and husband dropped him off.

The neigbor lives a good ways away. Maybe 100 acres between our property. We never walk there, we drive.

Two days later I am stunned the rooster is at my gate trying to get back to our property. I picked him up and he's so light and he's all beat up. I can tell he's sore.

I have him in the house giving him eggs and electrolytes. What the hell? Has anyone heard of roosters coming back home?

I have a co worker who lives in another town who will take him for her hen only flock.
Edit: You should consider naming his Lassie. 😀

It’s incredible that he knew how to get back. But then again, I think chickens have way more smarts than most people who don’t have chickens give them credit for. Kind of like goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom