gangrene / amputation? (Photos)

Pics

m2wandc

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 19, 2009
I originally wanted help regarding home amputation-but after reading several posts gangrene does not seem to be a concern.

It’s a 1 week old Easter Egger.

Soaking in epson salt and/or benedine & apply Neosporin seems the best route until it falls off….correct???

Can you give aspirin for pain or antibiotics that were a human Rx? Crush up and soak in water? Or put in drinking water? 🤷🏼‍♀️ need info on that before I try anything oral.

Thoughts on if you think it will fall off at the leg ring or leave the one toe that still has some color?

Also thoughts on yellowish crystal like substance (what is that?)

Currently I’ve just sprayed it with dermaplast antibacterial pain relief spray. And otherwise left it alone with its baby chick flock in the brooder. It eats and drinks and scurries about. Mildly clumsy because its foot is swollen and probably numb or in pain.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.jpeg
    IMG_0555.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0554.jpeg
    IMG_0554.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
The woman at the farm store got a batch of chicks and one had some sort of flesh colored thing wrapped around its leg. She took it off but didn’t want to sell the chick to someone incase it died. And the store owner was going to cull it, so she asked me if I’d take it.

the foot looks like it’s going to fall off.
I see in another thread of yours that the leg had a band or something wrapped around the leg. Likely too tight and it cut off circulation.

Looks like you are treating the foot well. Yes, I think it will probably auto amputate.

Even though you chick suffered damage likely from loss of blood flow, the damage is still similar to Frostbite where tissue will die and eventually fall off. I'd follow the good instructions that @Allsfairinloveandbugs has provided in her article about treating Frostbite. It will take time for all of this to take place, do hold the course. Since she's small, she likely will learn to adapt fairly quickly.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/

Thank you for the cross posting-I wish i could be CERTAIN nothing more is still wrapped around her leg. The lady at the farm store that called me said she got it all off but it was flesh colored. I’ve looked with a jeweler’s loop and can’t tell but I don’t think anything is left but I still see an indentation…wouldn’t that go away with growth?

Update I gave on the other link as well:

I washed her foot with a soft toothbrush gently in betadine solution and soaking it in a warm epsom salt….then she curled up on my lap with a hot water bottle and took a nice long nap.

Just took her back outside to the brooder with the other chicks and sprayed dermaplast antibacterial pain relief spray on it.

I ordered a second heat plate and will set her up a brooder of her own to heal in tomorrow (the other chicks are getting to the age where they peck at each others feet)

Here are updated pics from this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    645.3 KB · Views: 27
Thank you for the cross posting-I wish i could be CERTAIN nothing more is still wrapped around her leg. The lady at the farm store that called me said she got it all off but it was flesh colored. I’ve looked with a jeweler’s loop and can’t tell but I don’t think anything is left but I still see an indentation…wouldn’t that go away with growth?

Update I gave on the other link as well:

I washed her foot with a soft toothbrush gently in betadine solution and soaking it in a warm epsom salt….then she curled up on my lap with a hot water bottle and took a nice long nap.

Just took her back outside to the brooder with the other chicks and sprayed dermaplast antibacterial pain relief spray on it.

I ordered a second heat plate and will set her up a brooder of her own to heal in tomorrow (the other chicks are getting to the age where they peck at each others feet)

Here are updated pics from this afternoon.
I would look again and probe that leg a little just to be sure there's still nothing wrapped around it.

I do see some hairs in the photo, those may be after the fact, but believe it or not, a hair wrapped around a tiny chick's leg can result in cutting off the circulation too.

Do the best you can with her, sounds like you are treating the leg very well.

I would look again and probe that leg a little just to be sure there's still nothing wrapped around it.

I do see some hairs in the photo, those may be after the fact, but believe it or not, a hair wrapped around a tiny chick's leg can result in cutting off the circulation too.

Do the best you can with her, sounds like you are treating the leg very well.
I keep looking (no more hair) and I don’t see anything - I am just baffled by the indentation. I would have thought as she grew that part would plump out maybe that’s where the leg will self amputate? 🤷🏼‍♀️ it will be interesting to see if that one toe will be saved or if she will be a peg leg. She otherwise seems healthy. Eating drinking and pooping.

Her poop did seem a bit too watery this afternoon. I’m keeping an eye on that (gave her some probiotics this afternoon after she pooped that watery poop)

Good to know. I have been spraying the dermaplast which should numb a little. Tried wrapping a lidocaine patch but it just stuck to everything and was a hassle - I need to buy vet wrap. Seems like that might become part of her life if she needs padding on her stump.

I have been giving this chick epson salt soaks & betadine baths and spraying with dermaplast but today the foot looks like it has literal green patches. Does gangrene turn green? Advice please!

I don’t want the other baby chicks to get sick or her to suffer any more then she has been.

I’ve never culled a chick before and I don’t want to if I don’t have to….advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom