Gander vent/phallus/prolapse issues (potentially upsetting image)

myceliant

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2022
Hello,

I'll try to be as specific as possible. Embden gander approx 3 years of age. Been in great health. This morning I noticed bleeding around vent on inspection tbh i can't quite tell what is wrong so I have added an image (sorry it is graphic). Have cleaned up area with warm, mildly soapy water and diluted iodine. I can't tell whether it is a phallus injury or if there is a prolapse going on. I am worried about what looks like a slight protrusion from rectum and whether it is a prolapse. And also if phallus is injured/infected.

Vet unable to come out due to covid short staffing them.

He seems okay in himself. Slightly subdued and quiet. Eating and bathing okay. Passing clear fluid from vent. Edit: I don't think he is passing solid. Potentially blocked.

Any help greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have long covid and it has greatly affected my cognition so very clear language if possible please :)

Attachments

• 16420775190104388506106275319369.jpg
    16420775190104388506106275319369.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
A disclaimer: I am not a geese farmer. I am not a vet.

Make a tub of warm Epsom salt water and let him have a nice long soak, as long as he wishes.

For now, lubricate his "equipment" to keep it from drying out in between Epsom salt soaks, which he can have a couple times a day.

Call around to your feed stores and ask if they have terramycin ointment. It's usally used on eye tissue, but it's a good antibiotic topical med for this purpose, and used by geese keepers for this purpose.

But if you can eventually get him to the vet, that would be best.

A disclaimer: I am not a geese farmer. I am not a vet.

Make a tub of warm Epsom salt water and let him have a nice long soak, as long as he wishes.

For now, lubricate his "equipment" to keep it from drying out in between Epsom salt soaks, which he can have a couple times a day.

Call around to your feed stores and ask if they have terramycin ointment. It's usally used on eye tissue, but it's a good antibiotic topical med for this purpose, and used by geese keepers for this purpose.

But if you can eventually get him to the vet, that would be best.
Thank you for your response and advice. I will try the above. I'd like to try and rule out or confirm whether or not it is a prolapse. Are you able to tell?

If he isn't prolapsed, it appears he could be headed that way. The soaks may float out any foreign material that could be irritating and inflaming his equipment.

Do you have any cortisone cream on hand? You can use that to help reduce any swelling.

If he isn't prolapsed, it appears he could be headed that way. The soaks may float out any foreign material that could be irritating and inflaming his equipment.

Do you have any cortisone cream on hand? You can use that to help reduce any swelling.
I don't, but hopefully I can get hold of some tomorrow. He's had two baths and cleans today. I've just put him to bed and will try a different vet tomorrow if there's no improvement. Thanks so much for taking the time :)

Update: have managed to get a vet to take a look. They said it's swelling from diarrea and to worm the geese and keep watch to check he starts passing solids.

Update: have managed to get a vet to take a look. They said it's swelling from diarrea and to worm the geese and keep watch to check he starts passing solids.
Morning, may i ask did worming sort him out? I have a gander with the same thing, have cleaned him up, given him some antibiots, pain relief and having read this some wormer, have put something on it to keep it moist. Will talk to vet tomorrow after inspecting again. Any other advice would be great!

Morning, may i ask did worming sort him out? I have a gander with the same thing, have cleaned him up, given him some antibiots, pain relief and having read this some wormer, have put something on it to keep it moist. Will talk to vet tomorrow after inspecting again. Any other advice would be great!
Morning. Sorry for the slow response. The worming seems to have been helping. His diarrea has improved a lot, he is solid mostly now. He still has not finished the course (today is the last day). He did pass blood again however yesterday. So I'm hoping to have the vet is able to take another look this week.

Morning. Sorry for the slow response. The worming seems to have been helping. His diarrea has improved a lot, he is solid mostly now. He still has not finished the course (today is the last day). He did pass blood again however yesterday. So I'm hoping to have the vet is able to take another look this week.
Thank you, took mine to the vet he is prolapsing which isnt great and his vent is quite swollen, they can try a stitch but as swollen may not work. Ahhh. May see if i can get epsom salts and see if that will help. Otherwise they are talking about putting him down. As a rare breed gander that will be hard. Thanks for coming back

Back
Top Bottom