Gambel's quail

quailsandchicks

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
I'm interested in breeding and raising some gambels quail but I can't find much information on them. If any of you know where I could find some eggs or chicks and would it be okay to use a broody hen to hatch the eggs instead of an incubator?

It' a little late now for eggs, but I've seen lots of post for gamble and valley quail egg for sale on eBay. Yes, it's fine to use a broody smaller breed of bantam such as the serama or old English bantam to hatch the eggs. But, I've read post of people saying, it's not such a good idea, due to the chicken, might pass on some deadly disease to the quail chick and the chicken mother will not know how to show the chicks how to eat, because they have different calls/clucking. So the quail chick will die of starvation. So an incubator is the better choice of hatching them and keeping them alive. For chicks, many should be available soon, as the springs chicks will almost be adult bird size by now. But most likely in the fall. If you can find a local breeder, you can maybe get chicks now, but if you don't have any, then you will have to wait for fall or later in summer, for the weather to cool down to ship birds. They are very easy to raise, if you had valley or other wild kind of quail experiences, it's basically the same. The coturnix and button quail doesn't count though, those are more domesticated and calm birds compare to the valleys,gamble,blue scale, and Mountain quails. Oh, one last thing, the qambles along with the other mention wild type of quails, won't sit on their own eggs, unless you have a big well covered aviary with lots of bush and tall grass, to help mimic their natural habitat. And the gamble is not known to be setter even in an aviary, but the valleys are better known to sit on their own eggs and hatch/raise the babies them self, if given a big well covered aviary. Valleys and gambles look almost the same, except a few minor details of differences. Look on the web and you'll see the difference.

Might I also add, some of the members will some times post their gambles,valleys quails chicks for sale in the fall on the buy/sell/trade.

How many here have raised Mountain Quail? Are they hard to raise? They really are pretty. I would love to have a pair!

Anyone have any idea on the sex of these guys...

Last edited:
at that age you cant really tell because they are too young but in a few weeks if they are male heir head will start getting a redish tint and youll notice white stripes developing on his face/head and a black mask will also start to form. if its a female she will not develop these colors and will stay more of the greyish nude that adult female quail have. iv raised a lot of these little guys and they are sooo cute! I even got them to imprint on me and I could take them outside in my front yard and they would follow me and play and eat from the gravel! I love em!!!

Back
Top Bottom