leaderofthechickenparade

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2022
In all the years we’ve had chickens (at least a decade) we’ve never had to deal with frostbite. Our 9 year old favorite rooster has frostbite on his wattle and comb. The comb is minor damage. The wattles were extremely swollen and once we warmed them up why’ve been hot to the touch. He’s been on LA200 Liquamycin for two days and the swelling has gone down significantly. But they are still so heavy that it keeps him arched over when trying to stand. He is 9 years old, and molting (under wing) and I assume poorer circulation than our younger roosters bc of his age.
We’ve been hand feeding him and giving him water, he wants to eat, it’s just hard with the weight and them being in the way, and he has been inside since the night he got this. He has had a healthy appetite while letting us hand feed.
Do we consider dubbing? If it’s hurting his ability to stand, how long do we wait to see if it resolves on its own before I have a vet cauterize dub them? Can a rooster that old survive dubbing? He’s our sons first chicken and they’ve grown up together. He’s been the BEST rooster you could ask for.
Pictured are his wattles after severe swelling had gone down with antibiotics and one of him standing with that incredible weight of the wattles, with the love of his life, an 8 year old Americauna hen, now blind due to cataracts. They’re the cutest old chicken couple ever. She brings him so much comfort we brought her in too and he calmed right down.
He’s a massive Dominique Rooster, 1” spurs, 2’ tall.
5901D979-0E8E-45F2-B6E0-AEF243F0CA1B.jpeg
9D88245D-ADFB-41E5-AF4C-E7139A9D0EC2.jpeg

Last edited:
Try giving him an 81 grain chewable (baby) aspirin twice a day for the pain. No, it's not a good idea to dub the wattles. They should heal. He likely dipped his wattles in his water and that's why they froze. Next freeze event, try putting his water in a quart chick water bottle. The tray is too narrow for a rooster's wattles to dip into the water. This is what I do with my two rooster so their wattles don't freeze.

I dub all my barn yard rooster before winter, starting last year, and they out preform the hens in hardiness. Dubbing is a personal choice but don't write it off.

I would not drain them, nor would I dub them.

Handling the tissue will damage it. The blackened tissue is protecting the layers underneath. Let them dry up and self dub on their own.

I agree, he's likely hanging over so the wattles aren't rubbing against his feather, probably the most comfortable position for him. Aspirin for a couple of days may be helpful.
Keep him hydrated and eating.

Back
Top Bottom