WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends,

we have been told after we bought our house here in West Virginia that the previous owners were a bit crazy, throwing huge parties with loud music, gun-shots fired and so on.
Today, after locking up the grown up ducks, i was walking back from the duck-house to the porch when something metallic on the ground caught my eye, i picked it up and to my horror:
full

This is a copper or brass cartridge casing, 2.1cm (0.83") long and 1.2cm (0.47") in diameter, the imprint at the bottom says »45 AUTO+P CBC« and it is small enough to be swallowed by a duck. I'm not only concerned about heavy metal poisoning, that thing has a really sharp edge that could cut through flesh with ease!
There is one area here, off-limits for any duck, between my work-platform and the wooded area where the previous owners did target-practicing, i have found a lot of metal there, from BB-pellets (led!) to cartridge cases of all sizes, but this i found in the main area where the ducks are roaming every day. Luckily i found it and not Blanca Duck!
My assumption is that because this area has recently been strip-mined by the ducks, a lot of soil has been washed away and the casing was exposed. I definitely will visually inspect the area tomorrow before i let the ducks out, but is there any better method to find these things? I am scared, because y'all know Blanca and her »Panzer Division«. They swallow first and quack later…

Hi Friends,

we have been told after we bought our house here in West Virginia that the previous owners were a bit crazy, throwing huge parties with loud music, gun-shots fired and so on.
Today, after locking up the grown up ducks, i was walking back from the duck-house to the porch when something metallic on the ground caught my eye, i picked it up and to my horror:
full

This is a copper or brass cartridge casing, 2.1cm (0.83") long and 1.2cm (0.47") in diameter, the imprint at the bottom says »45 AUTO+P CBC« and it is small enough to be swallowed by a duck. I'm not only concerned about heavy metal poisoning, that thing has a really sharp edge that could cut through flesh with ease!
There is one area here, off-limits for any duck, between my work-platform and the wooded area where the previous owners did target-practicing, i have found a lot of metal there, from BB-pellets (led!) to cartridge cases of all sizes, but this i found in the main area where the ducks are roaming every day. Luckily i found it and not Blanca Duck!
My assumption is that because this area has recently been strip-mined by the ducks, a lot of soil has been washed away and the casing was exposed. I definitely will visually inspect the area tomorrow before i let the ducks out, but is there any better method to find these things? I am scared, because y'all know Blanca and her »Panzer Division«. They swallow first and quack later…
Have you maybe considered a metal detector or a large magnet from Home Depot or a store like that? I used a big square magnet to get roofing nails and staples out of our yard after I stepped on one a few years ago.

I can't think of any easy way outside of a metal detector. Casings are almost always non ferrous so can't use a magnet.
Yeah, pretty much you're going to need a metal detector to do any kind of effective search for stuff like that.
I have looked around at the usual sources in the internet and am overwhelmed! There are so many different models of metal detectors with prices varying from a sandwich to something a normal humon being would need a mortgage for…
I just simply don't know what to buy. Has anybody a recommendation?

Have you maybe considered a metal detector or a large magnet from Home Depot or a store like that? I used a big square magnet to get roofing nails and staples out of our yard after I stepped on one a few years ago.
I actually swept the area with a large shop-mag from Harbor-Freight and found a ton of scrap metal, from nails, screws and staples to unidentifiable objects, but neither shell casings, nor most bullets are magnetic. :D
So it will be a metal detector (see above), but which one - i have no clue!

Rake the area you found it in maybe? That's when I always unearth nice, dangerous surprises.
You don't know our soil here! :lau
45% loam, 25% marl and 30% rock. I have used the rake here only once in the veggie bed and it's still stuck there… just kiddin'. I have an electric tiller and have to wear rubber boots to protect my legs all the time because of rocks being flung around.

Back
Top Bottom