Dfarago

Songster
Feb 23, 2019
High Desert, California
I’ve looked into doing fodder for my Muscovies for a while. We plan on doing duck weed in the future but that’s on hold until we can get supplies.

what are some good seeds to use for a fodder system? And where is a good, inexpensive source?

I've had the most success with barley and sunflower seeds. The both sprout quickly. I've also used wheat and buckwheat.
You'll have to shop around for the barley. Sunflower is available everywhere but barley is by far the best seed/grain to sprout.
It must be feed grade though. Barley, wheat, etc. that is for planting will have fungicides, pesticides at a minimum on the seed so you can't use that.
One time my local feed store sold me a 50# bag of barley that they claimed was for feed. I got it home and it listed all the fungicides and insecticides it was treated with. When I returned it they told me they bought it for a guy wanting to make beer with it. No wonder he wouldn't take it.

I never trusted my feed store employees farther than I could throw them. The manager is now honest with me because he knows I will not buy old or inappropriate products. When I go there for chick starter, I always ask for the mill date. Now when he sees me coming he says, "you don't want to buy it."

what are some good seeds to use for a fodder system? And where is a good, inexpensive source?

I have tried barley seeds with best success in terms of germination rate and growth. It's also the least expensive grain where I live and most people who grow fodder where I live use barley seed. I have also tried oat seeds, and they worked but had less germination rate and did not grow as well. Oat seeds are more expensive than barley seeds where I live, so I stopped using oats. I have yet to try wheat seeds. Wheat seeds are more expensive than oats or barley seeds and my local mill tells me they are the harder to grow as fodder than either barley or oats. Those are the only 3 choices I have for fodder at my local mill.

Whatever seed you buy, be sure to tell the mill that you intend to grow fodder with the seed. Not all seed will germinate and sprout due to drying, preserving, etc... of the grain after harvest. For example, I wanted to try to grow whole corn seed fodder, but the mill explained to me that the kernel of the corn seed is killed in the drying process before the whole corn seed is packaged. I have had some people tell me that they get "deer corn" from local farmers that has not been processed and that will germinate. I don't have that option.

My local mill sells barley seed for $7.95 per 50# bag. That turns into about 250# of fresh green barley fodder grass for my girls. They eat everything from the tip of the grass blade down to the root mat. Nothing goes to waste. Where else can you buy 250# of feed for less than $8.00?

IIRC, the oat seed was about $9.50 per 50# bag and the wheat seed was about $12.00 per 50# bag at my local mill.

I have commercial layer feed in my coop 24/7 and my fodder is just a supplement. Laying chickens need to have that balanced layer feed for egg production.

Finally, I want to say that I stopped using my oat seeds for growing fodder because I was not getting the results that I wanted - in comparison to the barley seed - so I now just mix those leftover oat seeds into my scratch feed. Nothing goes to waste with the chickens.

There is an excellent article about a DIY fodder-tower by @gtaus
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...lar-tree-dish-bins.75190/reviews#review-27635
I'm growing wheat for now in my garage and the ducks love it! Also have bought Rye, Oats and Alfalfa but haven't tried those yet. The local feed store is selling all kinds of stuff, i might try lentils in the future. This is my fodder-tower and the first bins of fodder i harvested: https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/fodder.7429127/

I encourage you to check out those links because growing fodder is so easy and you don't have to invest hardly any money into the project. I had scrap lumber to build my fodder tower and the 10 plastic dish washing bins only cost me $10 at the local Dollar Tree. I spend less than 5 minutes per day on my fodder system and in turn I get a dish bin full of fodder everyday. That's a fantastic return on effort for me.

@WannaBeHillBilly posted some excellent photos on his fodder growing project. If that does not get you excited about growing fodder for your birds, I think nothing will.

I tried to buy Barley here around Charleston, WV and it seems people are using all of it to brew beer… No feed-store is carrying Barley.
Funny thing: Wheat here is much cheaper than anything else, i get 50lbs for $10, next comes Rye at $12/50lbs then Oats $15/50lbs and Alfalfa for $19/50lbs i have not taken the weight of the fodder bins before and after, but the fully grown fodder is heavy, at least 4-5 times the weight of the seed you start with. My Ducks will be happy and fat at the end of this Winter!

Back
Top Bottom