Hi everyone.
I missed a day and a half and get behind 12 pages.

First off, @featherhead007 I am so very sorry about Hen-Rietta's passing. She had a wonderful long life with you. Also congratulations, you wanted Buff Orps, from you recent pictures you have at least 2 orps.

@Ponypoor congrats on POW with Miss Betty.

I am exhausted. Had to be in Lexington this afternoon for Rosie's eye dr appointment. Afterwards I had to make good on my promise to hit the mall for her birthday. I think that girl could live in Old Navy and Bath and Bodyworks. Dad had 1 job while we were gone. 1 job, gather the eggs. Did he do that? Nope, 14 eggs in 2 different spots in the hay. I left home with no broody hen, I came back to Karen plopped on the nest with 8 screaming like a banshee.

Sadly I am 99% certain Momma Hen is gone now. Dad did go trail riding today and up by the cemetery behind our house He came across a huge pile of feathers. No body, but a lot of feathers. From the pictures he showed me they look very much like Momma Hens. That or hawk. If it was Momma Hens feathers, I can not blame her passing on a predator. Being at least 12 1/2, and the mobility issues she had been having I think she passed naturally. She was showing signs her time was close at hand. She gave me grief, she flogged me more times then I care to count and I called her everything under the sun. I will miss that Ole Bat. There will never be another one like her.
Very sorry 😢 for the loss of momma .

I set up a hummingbird feeder on Sunday, when the crabapple in front of the house started to bloom. The pea tree hedge is starting too (they are usually offset). On the way back in from running Sherlock this morning (he sees the vet to get fixed today), I heard a hummingbird....looking around (difficult as I left my glasses inside)....heard again.....finally spot the tell-tale loop around the pea tree hedge. Now, with all the flowers around, it's doubtful they will use the feeders until later, but.... I'd rather have feeders up than not for the miniature combat pilots.

I put the biggest one all the way out by the rose patch this year in hopes of giving more opportunities to sneak in for a drink while the territorial claimant is busy at a different one. I also need to either move or get another shepherd's crook to hang a feeder on the other side of the house. I'm holding off on hanging the really pretty ones but those will also be going up when demand rises.
Mum has decided not to put the hummingbird feeder out this year, too messy with the coons getting into it.

I’m rested, making my plans for a VFR flight today. It’s just over two hours FT, to Sacramento and if I can sneak her in, I’ll bring my navigation expert Aero with me. :D:cool:
She has 340 degree views: IMG_4341.jpeg

Hi everyone.
I missed a day and a half and get behind 12 pages.

First off, @featherhead007 I am so very sorry about Hen-Rietta's passing. She had a wonderful long life with you. Also congratulations, you wanted Buff Orps, from you recent pictures you have at least 2 orps.

@Ponypoor congrats on POW with Miss Betty.

I am exhausted. Had to be in Lexington this afternoon for Rosie's eye dr appointment. Afterwards I had to make good on my promise to hit the mall for her birthday. I think that girl could live in Old Navy and Bath and Bodyworks. Dad had 1 job while we were gone. 1 job, gather the eggs. Did he do that? Nope, 14 eggs in 2 different spots in the hay. I left home with no broody hen, I came back to Karen plopped on the nest with 8 screaming like a banshee.

Sadly I am 99% certain Momma Hen is gone now. Dad did go trail riding today and up by the cemetery behind our house He came across a huge pile of feathers. No body, but a lot of feathers. From the pictures he showed me they look very much like Momma Hens. That or hawk. If it was Momma Hens feathers, I can not blame her passing on a predator. Being at least 12 1/2, and the mobility issues she had been having I think she passed naturally. She was showing signs her time was close at hand. She gave me grief, she flogged me more times then I care to count and I called her everything under the sun. I will miss that Ole Bat. There will never be another one like her.
I am very sad that Momma Hen has gone. I know you will miss her. I think we all will miss her. But it is hard to do anything but smile at her memory.
What a character she was.
And somehow, dying after a battle on a hillside feels like how she would have chosen to go.
I am confident she gave the predator a fight, and I hope also a horrible case of indigestion!
Wherever you are now Momma Hen, keep fighting!

:hugs:hugs

I blame it on the sue happy legal system, and government over reach.
I believe it started around the time of "My coffees too hot. I burned myself, and it's your fault. You didn't warn me my coffee was hot."
The government over compensates for people without common sense by restricting everyone's rights.
That too. I see it with my drone. Can't fly it over people legally because some idiot smashed one into a person. Can't fly it outside visual line of sight cuz of an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom