Me too 😢 stuck in a crate first weeks of one’s life - I can’t help but compare my kiddies who are out and about and getting handled.

Tonight is their first night in the Summer House - I have a section secured for them, put their brooder in there and tucked them in to bed, I put some straw at the one end to stop drafts.

congratulations! Good girl Poppet! It’s odd seeing your silkie eghs that colour, mine lay pinkie peachy coloured eggs.

You should see Betty’s eggs they are still teeny tiny! Half the size of the silkie eggs! She has been laying eggs about a month now - I wonder when they will get larger?
Congrats, truly it never does get old.

BIG NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT!! HUGE NEWS!!!!

At a roughly a year old, Poppet has something to show you all.
View attachment 3822693

Look what she made.
View attachment 3822696View attachment 3822697
I had to be careful taking pictures of it, the other side is not pretty. Like many first time pullet eggs the other side is bloody.
It is so little and perfect. Now I just need a broody hen in about 2 weeks.
View attachment 3822701
I am believe it or not currently broody hen less. Finally, finally I broke up the last hold out Goose. She gave up Thursday, she sat over 3 weeks stubborn girl.
Wahoo!! Congrats Poppet, you had us pulling our hair out but it came out perfect!

This is actually a pretty informative page. Thanks for sharing! I just learned a thing or two about how to care for my peach tree. It’s a 4 way mix and suffers from Peach Leaf curl.

You should see Betty’s eggs they are still teeny tiny! Half the size of the silkie eggs! She has been laying eggs about a month now - I wonder when they will get larger?
Good question. I have the same- about Whiskey. She’s been laying since January, but her eggs are pretty small. At this point do I just assume they’ll stay the same size forever? Until next year?

And oddly, Perry’s have started to see some size increase… all very disappointing, since she lays without a shell. At all. 🤪

Oh Poppet you outdid yourself little one.
DSCN3043.JPG

To put it in perspective, Chiquita, she laid between 1.1oz and 1.3oz. She laid very few 1.4s. Yes that is still a small egg. Compared to their tiny body size, silkies like to go "big" or go home. Tomorrow I will put Poppet and Branch up on the scales just to see how big they actually are.

BIG NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT!! HUGE NEWS!!!!

At a roughly a year old, Poppet has something to show you all.
View attachment 3822693

Look what she made.
View attachment 3822696View attachment 3822697
I had to be careful taking pictures of it, the other side is not pretty. Like many first time pullet eggs the other side is bloody.
It is so little and perfect. Now I just need a broody hen in about 2 weeks.
View attachment 3822701
I am believe it or not currently broody hen less. Finally, finally I broke up the last hold out Goose. She gave up Thursday, she sat over 3 weeks stubborn girl.
:wee
Congratulations!
Clever Poppet.

Yesterday during breakfast

Long-range mugs
20240505_131438.jpg

Pear and Shan (not a staredown but rather a "if I don't move, you'll see I acknowledge your superiority")

And babies came over to join in.

20240505_070422.jpg
They're truly blending in size. Have a ways to go yet for their own growth, but close enough to the smaller hens to mesh...still getting pushed to the edges, but they're starting to try roosting on the same bar as some of the adults (with lots of space between)

Back
Top Bottom