If you know someone in Yuma AZ that can pop over to Alcadonis MX for you, they can get amoxicillin at the pharmacy there. That is what I did - my parents bought me home a bunch of meds for me and my horses - which I also use with my chooks now.

I also am very lucky that my horse Vet has known me for over 40 yrs - and knows I was a Nurse. He trusts me to give a diagnosis and request a med. And he will give suggestions for a better med if he has a better idea.

I would ask around to see if anyone can get you some amoxicillin for your pullet, it’s 250mg twice a day for 7 days.

If I were closer/in the same country I would send you some of mine, but I fear they would likely stop it at the border if they X-ray it. And then of course by the time it gets to you, it’s a week gone by.

I would contact some farm animal vets and explain the situation, see if you can get some through them.

Or there is also stuff people use for fish that people have been using for chickens - it amoxicillin but sold as use for fish - maybe someone here knows about this?
You have a wonderful setup, having a long lasting relationship with a vet. We’ve been seeing the same vet here… oh, maybe a decade? But no exotics, no farm animals. I had to just about beg to have them let me send in fecal samples.

I actually have a couple of fish tanks and am in the fish world as well. Let me see what meds come via those stores.

Undercutting all this is that Becky is already symptomatic. She had that bout of lethargy, several weeks worth of soft shelled eggs (which tells me it’s not a new infection), and why did her bum deplume?? If all this works, I’m looking at it like RC said so nicely: to give her another summer of play.

You have a wonderful setup, having a long lasting relationship with a vet. We’ve been seeing the same vet here… oh, maybe a decade? But no exotics, no farm animals. I had to just about beg to have them let me send in fecal samples.

I actually have a couple of fish tanks and am in the fish world as well. Let me see what meds come via those stores.

Undercutting all this is that Becky is already symptomatic. She had that bout of lethargy, several weeks worth of soft shelled eggs (which tells me it’s not a new infection), and why did her bum deplume?? If all this works, I’m looking at it like RC said so nicely: to give her another summer of play.
Poor Sharpie was miserable yesterday, so I popped a bolus dose of amoxicillin (500mg), and 1/2 low dose aspirin, today I will move to 250mg twice a day and 1/2 aspirin- the aspirin will help with pain and help reduce inflammation.

I read an article last year stating that the aspirin can reduce the inflammatory process from salpingitis. Red has been getting a half aspirin every night since last year. I feel this has gone a long ways to her living this long.

Chickens are like us - they get old and have elderly issues, or they have issues that need attention as youngsters. They get viruses and bacterial infections…. It’s part of life.

Treatments don’t need to be extraordinary, just a bit of simple maintenance.

I sure hope that you can help Becky, this morning Sharpie was up an moving about, digging through the horse stalls, pain meds go a long way towards making one feel better and help with eating and sleeping.

Fluffy Butt friends and family. Please pray for my family over the next few days. My grandmother's struggle is finally over and she is now at peace and pain free.
My thoughts are with you and your family. I think many of us on this thread will always remember your grand mother, and how you and yours took care of her, no matter how hard.
I often think of those pictures you posted of her and Owly. For me, they said it all.
:hugs :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

Jaffar is still with us. Some trouble breathing thru the night, but he’s resting comfortably at the moment
I am glad he is doing ok, have you tried a half low dose aspirin? It can help with pain and also if he has any cardiovascular issues it could possibly help.

Many times if animals (and people) are in pain they don’t want to eat, it a vicious circle then as they won’t eat feel worse, don’t eat, and so on.

Also outside fresh air and gentle exercise is always a good thing. For him and you!

Ok I’ll check in later to see how you and he are getting on.

Pony Sunday

Penny

Fall 1985
9FA675F9-F580-4C05-9B00-9B62AB023A54.jpeg

Spring 1988 with her new born colt
F57CEF60-66DE-433A-B68B-FE0F7958F1AD.jpeg

I’m afraid to leave my roo alone today. My presence is required at church, but I can’t take him with me.
Make sure he is in a safe secure place, leave a friend with him, and leave him on the floor. Don’t want him jumping around.

Then go to church and enjoy Easter mass - you need to see other people, relax and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom