I wish you luck. I was cleaning the garage and found a box of Halloween decor with several rotten eggs in it. 🤢
I also have a little gamehen mix that keeps laying on top of the henhouse. Everyday I have to get a ladder and a rake to maneuver the egg to the edge where I can reach it.
You need to hear Rebecca’s story about her Momma Hen the Old Bat. She sat on AND hatched out chicks last winter on the side of a basically a cliff near her house - she could see her but couldn’t reach her.

This is on Kentucky were they get winter! We all basically love Momma Hen - she’s can be vicious with her eggs and chicks apparently 💕❤️ But she’s the best mama hen ever! The things that hen has survived…. Well she’s amazing for a chicken. If I get a chance one day I’ll find her beginning story and post the link here.

This beautiful guy walked a mile from his place across two roads, a creek and heavy woods to our house. It took him three or more days, 'cause we heard crowing for a few days getting closer and closer, and one morning here he was crowing outside our house.
Hermanos
View attachment 3774118
A scenario suggested to me was that a coyote or some predator had chased him, or he chased it, and he went beyond where he knew where he was, so he had been calling out trying to find his way back. This was before we had chickens, I fed him some cornmeal and water, and eventually caught him with help, and we put him wrapped in a sheet in the trunk of my car. We rode around the hill asking where he belonged. When we finally got to his house we could see other chickens just like him. I opened the trunk, and he had gotten out of the sheet and just exploded to freedom. Then he calmly walked over to three hens who came over to greet him. All was good.
Ahhhj that’s a great story ! 💕❤️

This beautiful guy walked a mile from his place across two roads, a creek and heavy woods to our house. It took him three or more days, 'cause we heard crowing for a few days getting closer and closer, and one morning here he was crowing outside our house.
Hermanos
View attachment 3774118
A scenario suggested to me was that a coyote or some predator had chased him, or he chased it, and he went beyond where he knew where he was, so he had been calling out trying to find his way back. This was before we had chickens, I fed him some cornmeal and water, and eventually caught him with help, and we put him wrapped in a sheet in the trunk of my car. We rode around the hill asking where he belonged. When we finally got to his house we could see other chickens just like him. I opened the trunk, and he had gotten out of the sheet and just exploded to freedom. Then he calmly walked over to three hens who came over to greet him. All was good.
What a beauty isn’t he?! If he showed up with your ladies I would keep him 😊

Hello FBF, I am doing some chicken sitting with a heavy heart, my mama passed on the 7th, she had been ill for some time. I got to travel back to Delaware to see her shortly before and I am grateful for that.

Some pictures of happy chickens pecking around:

Myths round fluffy butt:
View attachment 3773806
Snickerdoodles:
View attachment 3773808
Flours:
View attachment 3773810
A small meeting:
View attachment 3773813
A much larger conference:
View attachment 3773814
I am so sorry about your Mama. Praying for you and your family. :hugs

Sir Jaffar is now an indoor rooster. I found him in the run cowering and bleeding from wounds to his wattles and his comb. His good eye, he’s keeping closed and I fear that he’s been attacked by the neighbors roo again. I’m going to dispatch the neighbors rooster. It’s obvious that that neighbor has no sense of community safety.
Jaffar is messed up 😔
Oh no! Poor Jaffar!

I finally managed to stay awake long enough to get Sylvie off the roost after dark. I gave her a bit of a foot soak - only a few minutes - and then had a good look at the toe that is missing a toenail.
I think it is fine. She may even be regrowing a bit of a nail. It is a bit hard to tell because of the scales - but one looked like it was the start of a nail.
While I had her all bundled up I had a go at filing a nail using one of those electric dog nail trimmers (I got it a long time ago for the cats who won't let me anywhere near them with it!).
All I can say is that I hope Bob and Pony are correct and I don't need to do anything - because trying that on Bernie would not be easy!
Does anyone use clippers rather than a file? Her toenails didn't look much tougher than Nightshade's who I can clip (sometimes).
I will wait and watch Bernie's foot and hopefully won't need to intervene.
I also tried to correct the Babs roosting situation. I started by removing the flat panel heater - so she roosted on the mounting bar for the heater. I could remove that - or maybe cover it with cardboard. In the meantime I got Babs to stand on my hand and brought her down to roost next to Bernie. Hopefully she stays there!
H
I finally managed to stay awake long enough to get Sylvie off the roost after dark. I gave her a bit of a foot soak - only a few minutes - and then had a good look at the toe that is missing a toenail.
I think it is fine. She may even be regrowing a bit of a nail. It is a bit hard to tell because of the scales - but one looked like it was the start of a nail.
While I had her all bundled up I had a go at filing a nail using one of those electric dog nail trimmers (I got it a long time ago for the cats who won't let me anywhere near them with it!).
All I can say is that I hope Bob and Pony are correct and I don't need to do anything - because trying that on Bernie would not be easy!
Does anyone use clippers rather than a file? Her toenails didn't look much tougher than Nightshade's who I can clip (sometimes).
I will wait and watch Bernie's foot and hopefully won't need to intervene.
I also tried to correct the Babs roosting situation. I started by removing the flat panel heater - so she roosted on the mounting bar for the heater. I could remove that - or maybe cover it with cardboard. In the meantime I got Babs to stand on my hand and brought her down to roost next to Bernie. Hopefully she stays there!
I have used clippers and they are very effective, but I have cut quicks four times! Poor girls. And that’s without taking off much.

Watch for the eyes and white tip of its tail. The complex is fully skunk proof. It is the yard that is not skunk proof.
Holy skunkness! No fun! I don’t know whether skunks visit my chickens, but they live here. My dog has been skunked TWICE! 🤣

Tonight I locked up the girls late due to going out before they went to roost. Two huge rat turds near the feed in the run. Dog going crazy looking for the rat. Rat escaped dog by running into the coop and retreating to the upper level. I saw it there, but then couldn’t find it I hope it snuck out somehow. Gross.

What is That Giant Animal!

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that my backyard is an animal super highway of some kind. What is this thing that was checking out Hattie House last night?!

That is most clearly too large to be a mere raccoon… larger looking even than a bobcat. Must be either a cougar or a more likely a wolverine, as it looks far too shaggy for a feline

Back
Top Bottom