I pray she comes through this quickly. :hugs :hugs :hugs

What causes it? I don't know a lot about horses.

Tax
Hattie teaching Glynda the wonders of napping.

View attachment 3773429
Some of the ways I know that colic can be caused is by drastic temperature changes, or eating too much dirt. I’m sure that there are more ways, but those are the two that I know.

Do you have a weight on her? I must get weights on everyone before they start going broody.
I am embarrassed to say I haven’t yet dared get her from the roost. But I really must overcome this. I will need a full sized bath towel to wrap her up and I may need to wear gloves!

Oh I’m so glad. I ha it when horses colic. One horse I used to ride coliced (I can’t type! Why can’t I say colic-ed without it saying that it’s wrong?) and my instructor had to call the emergency vet. Pippa was sick for a few weeks. And it stinks because that was right before our championship show (which I got first in) but she was okay for the show.
Hah, I know nearly nothing about horses so I’ll defer to you all, but do know that the “ed” added to the end of colic changes the pronunciation of the C to an S sound. With words that end in C you can add a K to keep the sound right. So it’s colicked.

Oh no. Do you know why she’s colicky? Has there been really bad temperature changes there?
Could be anything - you know horses…. I do need to worm her so will get that done this week.

She is a grey which are prone to all sorts of tumours, and she is elderly. There is always that wonder of what’s going on inside, there could be a tumour on her intestines that would be very bad in the long run. In the meantime I just make sure she gets proper feed and drinks lots of water.

Does that happen every time she is broody? I use to remove Phyllis from the nest, then she would start to eat etc. Otherwise she would sit there all day. But I did not have to force feed her.
Same here - most of my Broody hens I will take them off the nest and out in the main barn to poop eat and drink. Sophia was my only one who refused to eat and drink.

I checked the camera to see if moving Babs off the heater mounting bar had worked, and she stayed down on the roost all night. Today I will clean the massive mess she made on the window and see if I can tape some paper up to block access.
What struck me about the photo though is that it is a good shot of how big Bernie is. Bernie and Sylvie are standing together at the far left. Similar pose but Bernie is so much bigger!
View attachment 3773413
Hmmm, they are both looking the same way - is there a window off to their right (our left)? Was there someone/something outside? Was there a noise from the servant's quarters or something? Interesting that they are both 'glancing' in the same direction.

I also find it odd that ALL are facing the same way. I usually have 1 or 2 that face the opposite way. When I take the bunch of them off the high branch (usually 5) 1 or 2 of them are facing the barn - the rest the other way. If I take the two facing the barn first... when I come back for more, there is always one that has turned around, so 2 facing away - 1 facing towards! (Gotta have look-outs facing both directions??? :idunno )

I am embarrassed to say I haven’t yet dared get her from the roost. But I really must overcome this. I will need a full sized bath towel to wrap her up and I may need to wear gloves!
I look forward to hearing this story. As someone who has removed Aurora from the roost, I understand your fear.

I pray she comes through this quickly. :hugs :hugs :hugs

What causes it? I don't know a lot about horses.

Tax
Hattie teaching Glynda the wonders of napping.

View attachment 3773429
Gassy colic likely, and it can be caused by just about anything. Horses guys are evolved to eat roughage - grasses. And to be always moving - take a bit move ahead take a bite move ahead. Domesticated horses that are in a stall are more prone to colic, the walking and eating is what keeps the gut moving.

At this time of year here the new grass is starting to come up but not lots of it so she might be eating some noxious weeds along with the grasses. I always put hay out in the morning so they fill up on that before they wander off to nibble at things. She could have not filled up on hay before wandering off.

And then there is always the ‘unknown’ of growths inside her. Those one can’t see and they can cause blockages. That is a situation where euthanasia would be the only option.

But this morning she gobbled up her grain, I gave her some more pain meds (I forgot to give her anti-gazz) and she went out to the hay hut to eat. Thankfully it’s the weekend so she should be under my eye for the next couple days.

Back
Top Bottom