You are probably already beyond the level of the article I linked.
I should clarify that it was helpful for me!
:lau
It breaks down some of the black breasted roo/salmon breasted hen stuff (which are sooooo complicated) in ways that clarify things nicely. Also pulls in colors I'm unfamiliar with as I've focused mostly on my : where did this trait come from/what breed of chick is this. From my hatchery's choice assortment that gave me Cheetah. Clarifying the lavender discussion was good too. Lavender is the lavender on a black. Opal/Isabel is lavender on a wild type golden/silver duckwing (like brown leghorn). Porcelain is lavender on a Mille fleur like speckled sussex/Jubilee orpingtons (but usually shows up in the bantams).

Hmmm....wonder if anyone is working on breeding porcelain sussex or orpingtons. the orpingtons wouldn't be all that difficult, I don't think. Lavender and Jubilee already exist in correct body type. Sussex....would have breed to get lavender/porcelain, then correct for body type.

It breaks down some of the black breasted roo/salmon breasted hen stuff (which are sooooo complicated) in ways that clarify things nicely. Also pulls in colors I'm unfamiliar with as I've focused mostly on my : where did this trait come from/what breed of chick is this. From my hatchery's choice assortment that gave me Cheetah. Clarifying the lavender discussion was good too. Lavender is the lavender on a black. Opal/Isabel is lavender on a wild type golden/silver duckwing (like brown leghorn). Porcelain is lavender on a Mille fleur like speckled sussex/Jubilee orpingtons (but usually shows up in the bantams).

Hmmm....wonder if anyone is working on breeding porcelain sussex or orpingtons. the orpingtons wouldn't be all that difficult, I don't think. Lavender and Jubilee already exist in correct body type. Sussex....would have breed to get lavender/porcelain, then correct for body type.
Oh good. I am glad it was helpful. I need to go back and read it again.
I want to understand the patterns next.

Oh good. I am glad it was helpful. I need to go back and read it again.
I want to understand the patterns next.
Patterns...I'm not sure ANYONE truly understands those....there is so much variety and so many that react differently with different ones. It did clarify things on double laced vs penciled. Double laced has a dark edge. Penciled has a light edge. The rest of the markings are the same, but opposite: dark lines parallel the dark lacing, light lines parallel the light lacing: penciled still refers to the dark lines.

Rant coming, I'm sorry.

Yesterday was quite a day and my nerves are shot. Grandma's siblings were notified if they wish to visit her they need to do so now, not put it off. 3 of them did so starting at 10 am. Her last living brother and her youngest sister were here for about 2 hours together. She was exhausted after they left, but the hospice nurse was here a few minutes afterwards and she stayed up and toughed it out for her bath. She thought she was going to get a good nap before dinner, nope. She got 15 minutes when another sister came with her daughter and grandson. They stayed for 4 hours. Me and mom will not deny her siblings a chance to see her, tomorrow is not guaranteed now. I did not appreciate Grandma's niece questioning every single decision the hospice doctors and nurses are making regarding her care. I do not care if you are a RN, you have not been here every day. I also was not too happy being turned into a baby sitter for a hyperactive 8 year old. When it was all said and done grandma was wore out, and had a rough night pain wise. I dread today, some may come back.
Very hard :hugs:hugs:hugs @Ponypoor is right about taking care for yourselves too. ❤️

Oh no! I am so sorry about Pretty Boy, and the old hen. Darn Raccoons- I could just throttle them all - fur caps 😒

I am visualizing Arduinna making a go at the dog - go Arduinna!! Darn dogs also. You are much more obliging to the dogs owner - I personally would be furious. But I sure am glad it was just some frayed nerves that happened.

I have a bunch moulting also - I feel it is because it has been so mild here this winter.

I love your egg labels! Those are lovely! Were did you get them done? I was checking out stamps on Amazon….
Thanks, I printed these off, and tried to match the font on my stamp when I changed the location the best I could… I actually got them off Etsy from a designer down in South Carolina, of all places! 😂 she has a lot of cute designs and a ton of wedding stuff as well, I think that’s where the main business was, and the chickens were a side note. She also did a matching one for Andrew’s sausage with a pig… I think it turned out so well because she had the design experience to get it all laid out perfectly, then sent me proofs. I’m now printing them out with a cheap Black and White Laser printer, don’t use inkjet, it runs and doesn’t hold up to refrigeration or freezers! I just googled “custom stamp egg labels” then went down a two day long internet cruising rabbit hole.
:hugs So sorry for the loss of Pretty Boy and the red hen. You do the best you can and luck plays a role too. I'm sorry. Raccoons and fishers are really tough adversaries to deal with, they don't give you any breaks. Arduinna will attack the dog? And win?

I like your labels a lot. Your name font is very nice yet easy to read, and the hen has a great old-fashioned, full-body look.
Arduinna certainly can and will take this dog out given the opportunity… it’s terrifying, honestly. I’ve never going to get video of her attacking him because I’m always running out trying to de-escalate it and contain the goats, then remove the dog. The littles were up on the stanchion with the adults and Ciaran in between, and she was in a full on showdown with Vladdie, stomp, charge and attack by hooking. I will say his owners are being great about it. The husband is dropping logs along their side of our fenceline to stop the digging. We actually had another incursion yesterday through another frigging hidden wire gate. And I now *officially* hate disc golf. Unfortunately (I think) yesterday the goats were all still up when he got in, and he decided to chase the chickens and Ducks instead. Feathers were lost, he caught and released a few. Everyone was traumatized.

Suggestion: if you have perimeter fencing… Don’t cut it halfway down and turn the cut wire ends into hooks and eye closures out and think it’s a “gate”. 🤦‍♀️ It is not. It’s a hole in your fence with any slight pressure, and it destroys the integrity of your fenceline, tension… it’s not even a proper “wire” gate ffs.
4D22170A-D978-4635-9CCD-295273B2879C.jpeg

My Uncle (in the late 70’s? Maybe early 80’s) and his raccoon “rocky”
56BD0DBD-760F-41BF-BC21-17FE61CCA8D7.jpeg

A nice shot of our little murder-hobo goat’s pointy bits 😂 they are a bit longer now, and just as pointy!
3EE3D5F1-DC02-44A7-8FC7-E2AFC21B450F.jpeg

And for Chicken Tax… Sammy my best boy ever

Back
Top Bottom