No, I do not usually do so but for the photo I went ahead and washed these as I wanted the colors and speckling to come to life. I have found that wet eggs photograph particularly well with my camera.

Thank you 😊 eggs really are unique aren’t they? Every chicken has their own particular pattern unique to them. So cool! 😎
Yes. The wet egg look is beautiful. I will try it when I wash a Tassels egg to see it without its bloom.

Lady Featherington is Fluffy.
So is my Widget.
IMG_E2539.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

Widget, part A and part B(utt)

Thanks for the updates. I wonder how yours are doing from time to time but I just don't have time to try and follow your thread as well as this one. They are beautiful chickens.
I always feel a bit guilty that I am not posting often 😊. I love this thread !
SNOW!!!
It was 50°F yesterday and we woke up to this!

View attachment 3746899View attachment 3746900View attachment 3746901View attachment 3746902

My hawk netting has come down.

View attachment 3746903
Oh ! How beautiful! And how aggravating 😬!

Oh darn, sorry about the health issues the girls are dealing with. Are you aiming to have a protected run large enough for them to spend the day as needed?
No, they range in a yard during the day, and the younger ones free range because they know how to get out. The run is just to lock them when we both have to leave, which isn't often.
But chicken math happened : it was nice for our 6 first ex-batts, but with 17 chickens including two roosters who hate one another, it couldn't work even for a few hours.
And your chickens are so pretty, I love their accent feathers. Great dashes and speckles!
That was a surprise from the last hatch. We got eggs from a neighbour that had a beautiful silver rooster and plain black hens, and the six chicks were a lot more different than we expected, with only one black pullet, Lulu.

A cute twofer, for those of you who remember how Chipie used to dominate Gaston ! Here he is explaining very gently to her that since she is half the size of the younger pullets she needs to stop picking fights.
IMG_20240213_151059.jpg

And the two leghorns, Alba and Nieva (with Chipie's butt 😮).
IMG_20240213_141022.jpg

I have a concern for mold - why not sweep that up and keep it dry...or not let them eat it past a day or two after getting wet. Whatever the overnight mice leave, that is!
He said he will be getting snow - so it will be cold - should keep it okay - but once it thaws, will need to be eaten quickly (if they don't scratch through teh snow and get it first.)

I don’t know enough chicken genetics to understand really. I know green comes from blue and brown egg laying crosses.
So Tassels is a cross between an Ameraucana (blue eggs, beard and muffs) and a Black Copper Marans (brown eggs, black feathers, and feathered legs).
So she has it all and produces a dusty lavender egg?!
:idunno
Maybe it will turn green later in the season.
Let’s see it wet!
It clearly has a massive bloom layer over top. If you wet a stripe on it, it’ll reveal what color shell she lays.

My guess is the American Orp vs English Orp difference. American Orps are a little smaller in overall stature and significantly less fluffy. IMO neither are better just different. We get a mix of the two here in the states unless you go to a breeder where the lines are more likely to be verified than at a large hatchery.

I wanted big and fluffy so I went hunting for the English version. My jubilees are supposedly descended from two separate flocks imported from England. Whether they really are or not who knows but they got me to pay more for the eggs 😂 They are big and super fluffy though just like LF is!
I love them both. They are wonderful chickens. They look like completely different breeds though.

Back
Top Bottom