Storm's babies, at 12 weeks, are officially part of the nightly head count. Can you tell which are the babies and which are the adults? (Not all 28 are pictured)
20231018_164918.jpg

Last edited:
They won’t go in the pop door yet to roost, but they’ve found the veranda a great area to lounge on! Hopefully familiarity and comfort will extend to the coop soon.
View attachment 3662490

It's not like the Buckeyes have been terrors in the coop to them, quite the opposite! Popcorn moves away, even twice retreated to the nestbox with Hazel to get away from the Spuds' hullabaloo.
Said Buckeye Hazel
View attachment 3662509

She's checking out the new changes. Warming panels just temporarily hung higher to get the new boards in
View attachment 3662510
Here's the pavers under it, changed it so the edge bricks could lie flat, and then got a second square done
View attachment 3662512

But true, Hazel was at the pile after booting out the Spuds (they came back three times and did get a dustbath in). Improvement in relations with her, they are acting more like they were with Butters, respectful but not freaked out.
They loved the pile
View attachment 3662511
They look like they are enjoying themselves 💕

The Campine was originally bred in Belgium & come in 2 colours: silver & gold. They are now quite rare worldwide ~ probably because they aren't easy to keep. All of mine have been fliers, fence hoppers, & great foragers. Even the half acre I am presently on isn't big enough to contain my Campine to her territory. The 1st time I let one of my silvers out of the pen to free range she took of & flew a couple hundred yards downhill. The downhill part was easy but she also managed to fly back uphill. As pullets they were super flighty screamers who tried to brain themselves any time I was around but age has calmed them down somewhat. The roosters are hen feathered so sexing is difficult.

Having said that, I love these birds. They are really intelligent, funny, funny clowns & very gentle. They aren't aggressive or bullyish, get on well with other breeds & lay a large white egg pretty consistently. I keep Campines for entertainment & frizzles for eye candy. :lau

I have seen some American places advertise Campines but their birds rarely look like they meet the standard & generally seem poor quality. My original breeder also told me it is really difficult to breed the silvers true. The colours tend to bleed & 2 out of 3 silvers I had certainly had that issue.
I was just checking to see where I can get them, no where here in Canada 😟

Ask Aurora
This Ask Aurora is a little different than usual. We take you too Fluffy Butt Acres where a special ceremony is taking place.......

Hattie begins the ceremony by relaying the following information regarding the honor Jaffar is about to receive.

This warrior, Jaffar, has been called forward to receive Knighthood in the Honorable Order of Nardole the Brave, Black Medallion. Nardole was born about 2018 AD in the region of North America known as Vermont, where he was known as the "Nardole of the Sunshine Motel" and was a member of the Dona Worry’s guard.

Shortly after earning his appointment to the guard, Nardole was confronted with a dire choice. A fox arrived threatening to kill those in his charge. Nardole sounded the alarm and his charges scattered to the brush. As Nardole looked to his identify his fellow guards in order to organize a response to drive off the vicious fox he found that his fellow guards had abandoned him and run for whatever safety they could find. Despite his youth and lack of spurs, this did not deter brave Nardole. He charged straight at the fox determined to drive it off and save his charges or give his life in defense of the defenseless. Nardole was sorely wounded but survived the ordeal having saved all the other chickens.

As that same year came to an end, Nardole once again displayed his bravery saving those in his charge. As the leaves were long off the trees and cover was scarce the dreaded hawks were out searching for victims. It came to pass that a hawk spied Nardole’s charges and attacked. The hawk was twice Nardole’s size but that did not deter brave Nardole. He sounded the alarm and chased the hawk into a bush where fiercely they struggled. In the end Nardole emerged from the bush with no serious wounds and the hawk frustrated and driven off. Once again, none in Nardole’s charge were harmed.

In his all too short life, no one under his protection was ever harmed. As his story was spread across the land those who heard it began using his sobriquet calling him Nardole the Brave. He represents the best of what all roosters can be, selfless, brave, fearless and most of all concerned with all others above themselves. Whenever people think of a rooster taking on opponents much larger than themselves in what seems a hopeless quest to save those under their protection, Nardole the Brave comes to mind.

In order that the memory of Nardole the Brave and his great deeds should not fade away and to provide recognition of those that demonstrate the characteristics that made Nardole the example to which all roosters should endeavor to lead their lives, Queen Aurora has seen fit to create the Order of Nardole the Brave.

Gather close all as we induct the first member of the Order.

To all here present, know ye that Jaffar having been recognized for long and honorable service to other chickens is hereby admitted as a Distinguished Knight in the Order of Nardole the Brave Black Medallion.

Jaffar, please kneel and receive your knighthood.

Jaffar kneels on his left knee facing Queen Aurora. Once Jaffar is in position the Queen places the ribbon around his neck and then touches each shoulder with the tip of her saber.

Jaffar, I, Queen Aurora of Fluffy Butt Acres, do hereby knight thee into the Honorable Order of Nardole the Brave Black Medallion. Hereafter, you shall be known as Sir Jaffar, Knight Errant of Fluffy Butt Acres (KEFBA).

Remember that you are a role model for all other roosters. You must remain fearless, selfless, brave, kind, and always put the safety and welfare of others before yourself. You must stand between the helpless and all danger. You must continue to exemplify all that is the best in a rooster.

Arise Sir Jaffar and be recognized.

20231018192325.jpg

Queen Aurora asks that all who have not yet done so and all that would like to refresh their memories of Nardole the Brave to read the following thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nardole-the-brave.1273623/

20220501080117.jpg

Ask Aurora
This Ask Aurora is a little different than usual. We take you too Fluffy Butt Acres where a special ceremony is taking place.......

Hattie begins the ceremony by relaying the following information regarding the honor Jaffar is about to receive.

This warrior, Jaffar, has been called forward to receive Knighthood in the Honorable Order of Nardole the Brave, Black Medallion. Nardole was born about 2018 AD in the region of North America known as Vermont, where he was known as the "Nardole of the Sunshine Motel" and was a member of the Dona Worry’s guard.

Shortly after earning his appointment to the guard, Nardole was confronted with a dire choice. A fox arrived threatening to kill those in his charge. Nardole sounded the alarm and his charges scattered to the brush. As Nardole looked to his identify his fellow guards in order to organize a response to drive off the vicious fox he found that his fellow guards had abandoned him and run for whatever safety they could find. Despite his youth and lack of spurs, this did not deter brave Nardole. He charged straight at the fox determined to drive it off and save his charges or give his life in defense of the defenseless. Nardole was sorely wounded but survived the ordeal having saved all the other chickens.

As that same year came to an end, Nardole once again displayed his bravery saving those in his charge. As the leaves were long off the trees and cover was scarce the dreaded hawks were out searching for victims. It came to pass that a hawk spied Nardole’s charges and attacked. The hawk was twice Nardole’s size but that did not deter brave Nardole. He sounded the alarm and chased the hawk into a bush where fiercely they struggled. In the end Nardole emerged from the bush with no serious wounds and the hawk frustrated and driven off. Once again, none in Nardole’s charge were harmed.

In his all too short life, no one under his protection was ever harmed. As his story was spread across the land those who heard it began using his sobriquet calling him Nardole the Brave. He represents the best of what all roosters can be, selfless, brave, fearless and most of all concerned with all others above themselves. Whenever people think of a rooster taking on opponents much larger than themselves in what seems a hopeless quest to save those under their protection, Nardole the Brave comes to mind.

In order that the memory of Nardole the Brave and his great deeds should not fade away and to provide recognition of those that demonstrate the characteristics that made Nardole the example to which all roosters should endeavor to lead their lives, Queen Aurora has seen fit to create the Order of Nardole the Brave.

Gather close all as we induct the first member of the Order.

To all here present, know ye that Jaffar having been recognized for long and honorable service to other chickens is hereby admitted as a Distinguished Knight in the Order of Nardole the Brave Black Medallion.

Jaffar, please kneel and receive your knighthood.

Jaffar kneels on his left knee facing Queen Aurora. Once Jaffar is in position the Queen places the ribbon around his neck and then touches each shoulder with the tip of her saber.

Jaffar, I, Queen Aurora of Fluffy Butt Acres, do hereby knight thee into the Honorable Order of Nardole the Brave Black Medallion. Hereafter, you shall be known as Sir Jaffar, Knight Errant of Fluffy Butt Acres (KEFBA).

Remember that you are a role model for all other roosters. You must remain fearless, selfless, brave, kind, and always put the safety and welfare of others before yourself. You must stand between the helpless and all danger. You must continue to exemplify all that is the best in a rooster.

Arise Sir Jaffar and be recognized.

View attachment 3662649

Queen Aurora asks that all who have not yet done so and all that would like to refresh their memories of Nardole the Brave to read the following thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nardole-the-brave.1273623/

View attachment 3662635
Sir Jaffar acknowledges and accepts this, his new charge as a knight in the order of Nardole in the kingdom of Fluffy Butt Acres. We both are honored to have been selected into this position. By my right as a squire to his lordship, we humbly thank Queen Aurora for her acceptance of Sir Jaffar. :bow:clap
Come on now, everyone clap. This is a great day!

I was just checking to see where I can get them, no where here in Canada 😟
I'm sorry. I wish more people were prepared to give these birds a go. They have loads of personality & are really pretty though not really suitable for a backyard flock. As I've said, they are fliers, fence hoppers & screamers & given the right conditions they will go broody, though they are generally considered non~broody types. They are over ambitious though. Ha'penny generally tries to brood once or twice a season & inevitably I find no less than 20 eggs under her when she finally sits!🙄 Are you allowed to import from an American hatchery? Ha'penny has been keeping @BY Bob entertained for years though he probably thinks I'm as mad as she is for keeping these birds.

Back
Top Bottom