So, while I was out watching the babies, I saw one off the edge of the South side of the coop (the almost cliff, no cover, bare side). Then I saw a Magpie over there. Headed over to make sure the Magpie (young one has been raiding Castor's food) wasn't going after the black chick. Oh, Jess is there and both babies. All good. What are they after? (I've never been able to figure out ALL of the chickens' fascination with this area: ZERO overhead cover). Tonight, I figured it out. There are giant black ants in there: the whole area is an ant hill. Main entrance seems to be up on top around a chunk of concrete. Manage to flip it over: Bingo, and half of them have wings.
20220525_175750.jpg
20220525_175435.jpg
20220525_175417.jpg
20220525_175752.jpg
20220525_175852.jpg
Turns out those are the tastiest ones, but none are good unless mama catches and kills them first.

Attachments

• 20220525_175750.jpg
    20220525_175750.jpg
    668.3 KB · Views: 1
Is this an offer that I can’t refuse? A church friend 85 years old asked me if I would be executor for her property, when she becomes incapacitated or dies. She has no family to speak of, and considers me her best friend. (Sounds familiar, remember Jeanette?) the properties are of substantial wealth, but back taxes are owed as well. I’m thinking strongly about it. (She has no animals on the property) but there’s a house and a double wide mobile home on it. Estimated at $600K and includes some mountain property near mine. It’s a big decision for me to take that situation on. I just thought I would throw it out to you BYC friends for your opinion. :idunno 3291D4F2-8743-43D3-81E3-D4A8F07F4CBE.jpeg
(Way off topic) Tax:

Best Laid Plans

Phyllis has not left the nest since the 22nd. Last night I made my mind up to take Phyllis off of the nest this morning. This would be day 3 without eating or drinking. When it came time to do it, I could not. I decided to give her until 1:00 pm. I had a break in my day and figured I could take her off the nest then.

At 12:35 this happened.

I wish she would get up daily but what can you do. I will continue to keep watch on her.

Best Laid Plans

Phyllis has not left the nest since the 22nd. Last night I made my mind up to take Phyllis off of the nest this morning. This would be day 3 without eating or drinking. When it came time to do it, I could not. I decided to give her until 1:00 pm. I had a break in my day and figured I could take her off the nest then.

At 12:35 this happened.

I wish she would get up daily but what can you do. I will continue to keep watch on her.
I think she got your memo about the 1pm deadline! :gig

After the first few days of seeing if they are really broody, I take them off the nest daily if they don't on their own when it is hot, and most days..but not every one on days like today (dry air, warm sun, but low 70s) I really worry about the lack of water consumption when it is hot. Last year I bought 2 small stainless steel cat food dished (kind with a flared base for stability) and put them in my DC nest boxes, with 2 ice cubes each on really hot days. slight bit of cooling power...but also cool water as it melted. Would toss out water (if any left) when I got home after work & repeat with the ice cubes and a bit of cool water if they seemed interested. (This in addition to taking them off daily if they don't on their own) So far, these girls have been bolting off the nest like it is a race when I open the nest box to check on them. Talk about 'fast forward"! Record breaking...gobble, gobble, slurp, slurp...poop, back on nest.

Zoom Zoom Vroom Vroom GIF by US National Archives

Back
Top Bottom