Well Baby made the decision for me, she got up off the nest about 4 and never got back on. I think she sat on the egg prematurely overnight as she has started the ticking time bomb cluck when she got off. I'm going to keep a eye on her to see if she snaps out of it or if she does try again. If she does decide she's trying again I'm going to wait 48 hours before I give her any eggs.

That is looking very, very good compared to the last time I caught a look at it! I recall there were two bits affected, I can only see one part that looks a tiny bit pale, the very long, exposed "finger" of the comb in the middle, no wonder it got frostbite. Did the other part fall off, or heal? What is here looks to my newbie eyes like it is truly healing so I'm hoping it continues!
It is looking good. Below the long pale finger is another finger that lost its tip (went black and fell off) and there is a tiny bit of black still on the very end of that finger. But the big long pale one will stay with us I think. I am so relieved.

Oddly, I managed to get an aloe to bloom....2 years running....in a northwest facing window with the afternoon sun blocked by a giant spruce tree.....move to here, none of the house plants have thrived...including the aloe. Am slowly replacing. Now have 2 aloes (shared the store pot). Side by side, 1 has produced babies (a first for me), the other not. Neither has bloomed. No idea what happened to get them to bloom, but my mother (born and raised in southern Cali) didn't know they could bloom either. Saw one in an outdoor planter there (visiting for a wedding), blooming. The outdoor S Cali aloe was blooming in mid January. My inside Montana house aloe bloomed in February.

Proof
View attachment 3026013
Yes the window is frosted from the outside cold in that pic.
I had no idea they bloomed.

They are still pecking at Arizona. She had nowhere to run all day, and I’m sure that she’s stressed out! (I’m stressed out) :(:idunno I don’t know what to do!
849CB76D-95B3-46FE-BE70-88BB4EB77C56.jpeg

They are still pecking at Arizona. She had nowhere to run all day, and I’m sure that she’s stressed out! (I’m stressed out) :(:idunno I don’t know what to do!
Are you sure it isn’t just the normal pecking order stuff? Everyone here pecks Minnie but she seems to take it in her stride.

Back
Top Bottom