Also still raining every other freaking day :rant
My “angry like” is meant to agree with you!! :mad:... I wouldn’t mind a drought! Rain and chickens do not go together well:barnie... my poor gals have been locked in their run.. which is plenty roomy but they want out! I am actually having hubs put up more fencing around “my” part of the yard so they can come out there.. it’s not quite as flooded as their yard..

Btw @micstrachan
You know those lovely pictures you post of your hens relaxing on your legs or lap and me saying it doesn't happen to me? Well, yesterday I was sitting on the roof of the duck house, it's low, and Fat Bird was up there on her own avoiding the unwanted attention for the cockerel Tyle and Tribe 3 who had wandered up there.
When Tyle arrived all full of himself Fat Bird jumped onto the roof and walked over and sat on my lap. This is the first time ever she's dome this. If I pick pick her up she'll stay on my lap but get on it by herself...no way.
How nice! Isn’t it lovely?

Rooler Coaster Winter

That silly groundhog told us we would have an early spring this year and at times he seems right. Starting Saturday our highs are supposed to be in the 50s (10° to 15°C). The average high this time of year should be in the low 30s (-1°C).

Well farmer Bob went out this morning to release, feed, and water the newbies and the temp was only 18°F (-7.7° C). Rapid changes in temp are not good for chickens, especially changes of more than 20°F.

Of course it is not something I can change but the roller coaster temperatures are concerning. Especially since I have started assuming spring-like temperatures and did not pay attention to how cold last night was going to get. I might have taken steps to protect the newbies from the drop in temp.

So, I am frustrated with myself and very grateful everyone seems to be good. I will be very glad when I have everyone in the big coop in a couple of weeks and we get out of range of these artic temperature drops.
Hang in there, Bob! Big swings in temperature or hard on my flock, too.

I remember when I was a kid and my dad was on a business trip, my mom was excited to tell him that she laid out in the sun in her bikini in February. Two days later, she asked him “guess what I did today? “ He said, “I don’t know, lay out in the sun? “ Her answer? “No! I made a snowman with the kids! “

it’s very rare to get snow in this part of California, but we can have pretty big temperature swings within just a day or two. Of course, mine seem to have a tougher time if the swing is upward.

My “angry like” is meant to agree with you!! :mad:... I wouldn’t mind a drought! Rain and chickens do not go together well:barnie... my poor gals have been locked in their run.. which is plenty roomy but they want out! I am actually having hubs put up more fencing around “my” part of the yard so they can come out there.. it’s not quite as flooded as their yard..

:hugs i feel for you my yard is a slop hole and now its gonna all freeze :barnie

Yes! I love my mixed flock. However, they're all hatchery stock and I’m still learning how to keep them healthy. They are on a diet and I think I’m already seeing more spring in their step!
I have 3 BRs & 3 bantam Wyandottes. They are lovely chickens. :)

Btw @micstrachan
You know those lovely pictures you post of your hens relaxing on your legs or lap and me saying it doesn't happen to me? Well, yesterday I was sitting on the roof of the duck house, it's low, and Fat Bird was up there on her own avoiding the unwanted attention for the cockerel Tyle and Tribe 3 who had wandered up there.
When Tyle arrived all full of himself Fat Bird jumped onto the roof and walked over and sat on my lap. This is the first time ever she's dome this. If I pick pick her up she'll stay on my lap but get on it by herself...no way.
So sitting with you is better than dealing with Tyle. Another nugget about your place in her pecking order.
:love
My thoughts exactly... “oh, him again... randy teenagers suck; I bet he won’t mess with me if I just sit on the feed bringer... you don’t mess with the hand that feeds you!”

Are anyone’s birds molting? Cashew might be in a second stage of molt. She has seemed a little off, and I saw her drop one feather, plus there is a small pile under her roosting spot. Also, two of the three pullets seem to be coming out of lay. I handled Dorothy (California White pullet) and a breast feather fell off her, too. I’m only four years into looking after chickens, but haven’t yet seen molt (in any form) this time of year. Anyone else?

If you want to talk about your chickens, this is the place. We're live talking about our chickens and hearing about yours. Please post your pictures and stories. We all get to have more chickens that way.
Well thanks. You've all been very nice to me. I do like talking about chickens and I wouldn't mind posting some things. I've never warmed up to the idea of being involved in a social media type thing (Facebook, Twitter, etc. really turn me off) until I ran into this group on BYC. I may not be the most prolific contributor, probably rather sporadic, but who knows, this first foray into the social media world might suit me just fine. I'll try to let you all know a bit about my chicken story and put up a few pictures, which are all pretty low quality phone camera stuff, unfortunately. Oh well, we deal with what we have! :D

Back
Top Bottom