flies around horses eyes, what to do?

thewobsers

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
near toledo ohio
There are 4 horses in a pasture behind our place and they are so friendly and will eat out of our hands. We notice their faces especially near the eyes always has lots and lots of flies... how can we help them?
The fellow who pastures them lives 20 mins away and doesnt do much else with them.
Would mixing garlic powder with some corn help???
or any essential oils mixed with water in a spray bottle?
or is this not something that can be avoided?
thanks for any info

Garlic would probably burn their eyes. If you have any Avon Skin so Soft bath oil, that will work. Otherwise use a product made for equine use like SWAT or some other equine fly repelant. Also make sure the owner dosen't mind you Helping out. I'm kind of picky about stuff like that myself.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, Most feed stores or TSC sell SWAT, Its comes in a jar and kinda looks like vaseline. It's a fly repellent that can be put around the eyes with your finger.

If you ever see the owner, you could suggest that he get them fly masks.

We used to use SWAT it came in pink or clear. Rub it under the eye never over. Seemed to work really well the pink goggles were great. You can also use fly wipes they sell both at any feed or tack store.

I would let the owner do whatever they wanted. I had a really nice horse ruined by people trying to help out. They turned it into a head shy and fly spray scared horse. They would just spray it right in her eyes after I had left.
sad.png
I had already done the fly treatment. I get very mad if anyone handles my horses besides me for this and other reasons like riding them without asking me. Dumb people! Ruined a really amazing horse. I won't allow anyone to handle my horses now and they will never be at a boarding stable again as boarding stables can't be trusted:(

yes, the farmer raises mostly cattle, he keeps the cows and calves in pasture and the bulls at his other pasture. there are also goats and a llama and a donkey... they do have a couple barns that they can get out of some wind and rain... not pretty buildings, need some tlc but its better than nothing. And there is hundres of acre with trees for them to pasture.
he moves them around. i know the farmer is a hard working fellow and takes care of the animals... feeds them hay etc. These horses looked so skinny when they first arrived a few months ago and very skiddish... maybe he rescued them. Now they are looking great and very friendly.
our family goes for walks and visits with the animals and they have become used to us and are so very sweet.
He doesnt mind us giving them approved treats, (clover, corn etc)
But whenever we visit these poor horses and llama are just covered around the face with flies and we feel for them...
We will talk to the farmer first about what to do to help from the suggestions we get and see what he thinks...
Just wondered what you all have had success with.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom