First Time Chicken Owner- Preventative/precautionary treatments

MRquail

Chirping
May 24, 2019
I just got 4 laying hens from a family member today. A few of them are a little on the older side. I am wondering if there are any treatments I should do just as a precautionary measure such as deworming, adding in a mite treatment to their dust bath, giving them additional vitamins and electrolytes for the next few days, things like that.

they seem to be in pretty decent condition but moving them from one place to another was definitely stressful and a few of them were getting picked on by roosters and are missing some feathers. There is one chicken in particular that I think is a little older. she was getting stepped on by the other chickens and she looked a little listless when we got her into the coop so she might be pretty stressed. Thanks in advance!

Electrolytes wouldn't be a bad idea, to help with stress. Or something like Poultry Nutri-Drench if you have it on hand (for stress and a small energy and vitamin boost). I'd check them over for parasites but if they don't have any visible I wouldn't treat.

Make sure they're eating and drinking okay as well. Good fresh feed and clean water will go a long way to helping them out.

Back
Top Bottom