First Time Broody Hen Hatch-Along

LilFinnGirl

Songster
May 3, 2024
Upper Peninsula, MI
Starting this rather late in the process- hatching day is Tuesday! But better late than never. I’m a new member so appreciate any advice/support :thumbsup

IMG_2067.jpeg

I have a Buff Orpington hen who went broody in February and I could not break her of it, so I caved and got her three fertile eggs to sit on.

IMG_2069.jpeg

They are barnyard mystery eggs given by a friend. I know their dad is some sort of Olive Egger, no idea on the moms.

Hoping for a good outcome! I have left her in the coop with the rest of the flock, they are all one year old Orpington hens. No idea if it will go well or if I will have to do a rescue. Nobody in the flock is particularly aggressive but time will tell.

Wish us luck! :jumpy

I’m doing the same? Amy luck?
All three hatched!
IMG_2511.jpeg

I lost the dark brown one in an accident about a week old 💔

But the other two are thriving! Mama has been a great protective mother and the rest of the hens are polite aunties. I got lucky, I think!
IMG_3007.jpeg

Sorry for not updating this thread! Didn’t receive much engagement so moved on to other things.

Here’s the whole flock
IMG_2932.jpeg

All three hatched! View attachment 3841072
I lost the dark brown one in an accident about a week old 💔

But the other two are thriving! Mama has been a great protective mother and the rest of the hens are polite aunties. I got lucky, I think!
View attachment 3841073
Sorry for not updating this thread! Didn’t receive much engagement so moved on to other things.

Here’s the whole flock
View attachment 3841074
Your hens are beautiful! And mommy with her little chicks is just adorable. I have a broody hen that’s almost done, five more days. I can’t wait!

How many eggs are you hatching out? Are you separating them or leaving them with the flock? Good luck in either case! Would love to get updates as well! :thumbsup
Started with 6 and have 2 left! Today is day 21!! I recently separated her in a dog kennel but in the coop. This is my first time, she went broody and I got fertilized eggs from a local lady. I hope to have them with the flock but will watch them close.

Back
Top Bottom