Film on top of fermented food

dbmcknight

Chirping
Dec 30, 2021
North Carolina
This is likely a question that’s been asked to death, but what is this film on top of our fermented feed? Is it mold? Yeast? Haven’t seen this before, but we’ve only had our birds about a month. It has been unseasonably warm recently, in the 70s, and we keep these three ice cream buckets outside on a shelf (covered porch) rotating for food, so they ferment for two days before being given to the chickens.

Attachments

• C24AC256-D797-4D1B-8C4C-6179A37466D7.jpeg
    C24AC256-D797-4D1B-8C4C-6179A37466D7.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 77
I've always skimmed it for aesthetic reasons, but it can be mixed in. See what they prefer! When I fermented, I gave them choices: 1 day old, 2 day old, or 3 day old. Could be my imagination, but they seemed to like the 1 or 2 day best. Fermenting for less time can also help reduce kahm. These days, I ferment as a treat.

I concur, almost certainly Kahm. Safe, if aesthetically displeasing. Barely beneficial, in that its film layer can help keep more dangerous pathogens from entering the ferment and becoming established. In my area, it takes less than 8 hours to establish, most of the year.

You haven't said where you are @dbmcknight , but location is a key part of this, similar to the way some locations are famed for their cheeses, or their lambic beers.

I concur, almost certainly Kahm. Safe, if aesthetically displeasing. Barely beneficial, in that its film layer can help keep more dangerous pathogens from entering the ferment and becoming established. In my area, it takes less than 8 hours to establish, most of the year.

You haven't said where you are @dbmcknight , but location is a key part of this, similar to the way some locations are famed for their cheeses, or their lambic beers.
I’m located in North Carolina.

Back
Top Bottom