Female or male?

wolfinator

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Mountains of Fayette County, WV
I bought 3 several day old guineas about 2 1/2 weeks ago, so they're about 3 weeks now. This one sounds slightly different with the vocals than the other 2. There's almost a 2 part vocal when it chirps.

You decide, my gut says female.

I bought 3 several day old guineas about 2 1/2 weeks ago, so they're about 3 weeks now. This one sounds slightly different with the vocals than the other 2. There's almost a 2 part vocal when it chirps.

You decide, my gut says female.
I don't attempt to sex guineas until they are at least 4 months old.

Keets can make 2 syllable sounds but they are not the 'buckwheat sound' that an older young guinea can make. Females are usually at least 5 to 6 weeks old before they make the female sound.

I was confused like you are several years ago by a 3 week old keet making a 2 syllable sound. I was wanting a female so I kept it. And it turned out to be a male after all. :barnie Just give the keets some time and then you will know for sure.
:old

Keets can make 2 syllable sounds but they are not the 'buckwheat sound' that an older young guinea can make. Females are usually at least 5 to 6 weeks old before they make the female sound.

I was confused like you are several years ago by a 3 week old keet making a 2 syllable sound. I was wanting a female so I kept it. And it turned out to be a male after all. :barnie Just give the keets some time and then you will know for sure.
:old
Thanks, my last 4 I was lucky and predicted I had 3 males and 1 female. Now I just have the 1 adult male and am hoping for some female company for him. I have seen him recently acting more "friendly" towards my hens but they walk away from him. The female I had prior never allowed the males near her, even roosted separately. Since the keets are now housed in the nursery attached to my main coop, he's been roosting in there the last few days. He's been in another coop for the last 2 years and never tried roosting elsewhere until now. I have to wonder if he can tell the difference between the bantam chicks and the keets.

Male guineas usually make good dads for keets, even if they aren't the father. I think your male wants to help raise the keets. I have one male who was involved in the care of most of the keets hatched by the guinea hens. Even if the hen wasn't his mate. He stayed with them and helped integrate them into the flock. I'm sure he instinctively knows the difference between chicks and keets. :old

Back
Top Bottom