Feeding corn in spring: good or bad?

I have heard that it is good in the winter in generating warmth within the birds. I was also concerned and checked with my local feed store. They said it is not a problem. I am not totally convinced though. I have cut back on the corn content and increased the laying mash.
wee.gif

Hmmmm, mine dont get a lot of cracked corn..but they do get a ration of corn every day. Mostly layer pellets then a scoopfull of scratch before bed. I know, spoiled getting a bedtime snack of "candy"

spoilt is good, we can never spoil them too much unless we overdo something!!!!
perhaps we spoil them because we would like to be spoilt ourselves and this is our way of overcoming this if we arent spoilt enough.

as stated corn generates heat to keep chickens warm.there is nothing wrong with feeding corn.if corn is all their diet know that the yolks will get a real orange color to them.from being fed all corn.

Corn has a high carbohydrate content, it helps the chickens produce heat, and too much can make them fat which leads to egg laying problems. Some people give their chickens a handful of corn before bedtime in the winter to help them stay warm at night. It will do the same thing in the summer which is not good because the chickens are trying to cool off.

Corn as a sole diet is also not good for them. Besides the above, it does not have the additional nutrition chickens need.

Most people feed a handful of corn and/or scratch as a treat every other day or so. All my chickens love it and they get a little each morning when I go out to clean. As a matter of fact, they will not shut up until they get their morning treat.

Back
Top Bottom