Feathers

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
I know I've mentioned before re the one white feather. This is Gabby. She now has what appears to be feathers outlined in white. I can tell her apart from her sister bc Echo doesn't have it.
But that's not why I'm posting. She made getting a picture as diff as possible, but in addition to the outlining, she has rust color in there as well w/the white. At 1st I thought it was a play on light, so waited until I've seen it inside,outside, bright, dim, etc.
As I said, she made it diff, but you should be able to see the edge that is rust. It makes me curious. Is that a fluke, like the white feather,or is it possibly- the only one I can think of would be bronze? - parentage, or is it normal for some keet color to carry over to adulthood?
Also, they won't molt again until fall? My girls' feathers have taken a beating.

20230106_135917.jpg

I've learned this is called "cedar wing" and common in violets.
I know I've mentioned before re the one white feather. This is Gabby. She now has what appears to be feathers outlined in white. I can tell her apart from her sister bc Echo doesn't have it.
But that's not why I'm posting. She made getting a picture as diff as possible, but in addition to the outlining, she has rust color in there as well w/the white. At 1st I thought it was a play on light, so waited until I've seen it inside,outside, bright, dim, etc.
As I said, she made it diff, but you should be able to see the edge that is rust. It makes me curious. Is that a fluke, like the white feather,or is it possibly- the only one I can think of would be bronze? - parentage, or is it normal for some keet color to carry over to adulthood?
Also, they won't molt again until fall? My girls' feathers have taken a beating.

View attachment 3368639
So I've been reminded that this is called cedar wing, still not finding etiology of it. Have been told it's common in violets. Still wondering if it comes from a recessive bronze gene in the mix. -ignore the dots. She was too curious while he was painting.

I've learned this is called "cedar wing" and common in violets.

So I've been reminded that this is called cedar wing, still not finding etiology of it. Have been told it's common in violets. Still wondering if it comes from a recessive bronze gene in the mix. -ignore the dots. She was too curious while he was painting.
Pretty girl! Yes, cedar wing. Supposedly a separate gene that can be visible with some specific colors, like violet and copper. 🤷‍♀️

Pretty girl! Yes, cedar wing. Supposedly a separate gene that can be visible with some specific colors, like violet and copper. 🤷‍♀️
I need to stick to one source or another,as elsewhere I was told it's not cedar-wing but faded feather, that cedar wing is far more prominent and NOT common in violets.
I wasn't offended,but perplexed by the changing standards from one source to another, or one day to another, and that's without bringing in other countries! :gig
I certainly wasn't going to stick my neck out to reiterate that it's been there since her feathers grew out and never changed, or ask why another breeder who had just said it was a genetic thing w/violets and coppers hadn't been corrected.
This is why I like facts and mourn the lack of concrete information in books. I'm far from being a professional breeder, but try to become more knowledgeable so that when I do sell, I know I'm giving accurate info. It seems like a better plan than saying, "it's whatever you want it to be, just don't tell anyone," but that may be the best advise to give. Lol 😉

I need to stick to one source or another,as elsewhere I was told it's not cedar-wing but faded feather, that cedar wing is far more prominent and NOT common in violets.
I wasn't offended,but perplexed by the changing standards from one source to another, or one day to another, and that's without bringing in other countries! :gig
I certainly wasn't going to stick my neck out to reiterate that it's been there since her feathers grew out and never changed, or ask why another breeder who had just said it was a genetic thing w/violets and coppers hadn't been corrected.
This is why I like facts and mourn the lack of concrete information in books. I'm far from being a professional breeder, but try to become more knowledgeable so that when I do sell, I know I'm giving accurate info. It seems like a better plan than saying, "it's whatever you want it to be, just don't tell anyone," but that may be the best advise to give. Lol 😉
The problem with all genetic color information on guineas is that there is very little actual DNA research to confirm or deny what is being passed around as facts.

Back
Top Bottom