Votes: 9 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hanna50

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2017
New England
Information about Dixie Rainbows are hard to come across, it almost seems as though they don't exist. But alas they do! For those who are in the very same shoes I was in when I found out I had a Dixie Rainbow, I'll do my best to provide some good information.

Identification:
Identifying what I had was a very difficult task. I had purchased her from a brown egg layer assortment offered by Hoover's Hatchery. I scoured the brown egg layer section of the hatchery's catalog with no avail, the chick pictures did not come close to what she looked like or what her wing feathers were beginning to look like. Eventually after posting on here, I found out she is a Dixie Rainbow. The problem with identification is Dixie Rainbows have no set look to them, that is why they are called "rainbows". Each pattern of coloring is unique to each bird. However, after looking at many pictures I've come to the conclusion that all chicks are some variation of tan/brown. Some of them are more of a golden brown while others, like mine, are a lighter tannish brown. Also some chicks may be sporting some winged eyeliner, they will sometimes have a small flick of black stretching from the corner of their eye.
IMG_6184.JPG

( She is the girl in the front )
Behavior:
It seems that one thing is certain: you will be getting a bird full of personality. Many Dixie Rainbows are affectionate and are sweet birds. My Rainbow is quite the vocal girl which earned her the name Jazzy. She is a complete sweetheart that enjoys belly rubs and telling me about her day even if it is incoherent chirping. Dixie Rainbows, while not directly related to their personality, are cold hardy birds meaning that Jazzy doesn't bat an eye at the New England chill. Also, she gets along fine with my other girls of various breeds but she is more of the independent type. On the cold nights she snuggles up with one of my ISA Browns, Penny. I'd like to think they are good friends but you wouldn't see them attached at the hip during the day. Lastly, I'm not sure if it is a breed standard, but Jazzy is not quite the normal pecker. Rather than making quick jabs at you, she rubs her beak and sort of "investigates".
Growth:
Due to Dixie Rainbows being a dual-purpose bird, they grow insanely fast. For those using them as meat birds, they reach market weight at around 12 weeks. I'd say that they are probably around 7-8 pounds at maturity. Jazzy surpassed her sisters within days. It always seemed she was one week ahead of the average growth. She even, at 17-weeks, has her full comb and is partially through the process of growing her wattles while my other girls are slowly but surely starting to get a noticeable comb. From a young age I could tell Jazzy was going to be big due to her giant feet and she has turned out to be quite big. As of now, I'd put her somewhere around 6 pounds. One thing to note, depending on how you look at the matter it could be a good thing or bad, Dixie Rainbows are not very aerodynamic due to their size. While Jazzy thinks she can fly, she really can't and it is a hilarious thing to watch
Egg Laying:
I can not vouch for it myself, as Jazzy has not started to lay, but Dixie Rainbows are said to lay a medium-large brown egg. It is also said that they start laying at the end of the spectrum of 20-24 weeks. I'll be sure to update this when I do start getting eggs.
Summary:
Overall, Dixie Rainbows are a joy to raise. You will be getting a large bird with an even bigger personality. If your girl is anything like Jazzy, you may get a talker who is slightly dramatic. There will never be a dull moment between complete freakouts over falling off the perch or very passive aggressive chirps.

Thank you for sharing that information. I haven't heard of Dixie rainbows. What are the breeds used for the Dixie rainbow?
I'm not quite sure as I said in the post since there really is a limited amount of information out there. Supposedly they started as a great big mix of a bit of everything and now it is just rainbow x rainbow breeding. I would have to say though, I wouldn't be surprised if they have wyadotte in them due to their unique feather and cold hardiness. I certainly thought I was having a wyadotte when Jazzy first started to get her feathers.

I'm not quite sure as I said in the post since there really is a limited amount of information out there. Supposedly they started as a great big mix of a bit of everything and now it is just rainbow x rainbow breeding. I would have to say though, I wouldn't be surprised if they have wyadotte in them due to their unique feather and cold hardiness. I certainly thought I was having a wyadotte when Jazzy first started to get her feathers.
That's interesting. But it also sounds like they lay sooner than a Wyandotte?

I have 20 Dixie rainbows that are now 6 weeks old and they are big and growing fast, they are mellow and i am very happy i bought them, i have several other breeds but if the DR lay well i will keep no other and order more, i bought straight run to see if they make good meat birds and so far their growth rate seems they will, i will update when they get older.

I have 20 Dixie rainbows that are now 6 weeks old and they are big and growing fast, they are mellow and i am very happy i bought them, i have several other breeds but if the DR lay well i will keep no other and order more, i bought straight run to see if they make good meat birds and so far their growth rate seems they will, i will update when they get older.

I think Dixie would make for a great meat bird project. Believe more than one person here is already on that venture, with some searching you may find how it panned out in later generations.

The gig is they are a hybrid and with that comes no unity to offspring. It will take serious selection of future breeders to get them somewhat close to their hybrid performance and at least three generations. Likely you'll never get the actual performance as some of the larger size and fast maturity is attributed to what's called hybrid vigor but with strict breeding for meat quality and fast maturity you should get a good bird that breeds true in time.

Here's a great little article on selecting for meat quality to get you started thinking about breeders to use:

http://albc-usa.org/documents/ALBCchicken_assessment-1.pdf

I have one rainbow hen. She is one of my very favorites. She is very friendly and did grow much quicker than other chicks of the same age bought at the same time. She is also much larger than them at full maturity. I can vouch for laying brown medium-large eggs. Sometimes she lays eggs the same size as my others (Easter Eggers, barred rocks, orpingtons, wyandottes, etc.) but sometimes she lays eggs so large they won't fit in all of my egg cartons and wouldn't fit in my incubator correctly either. :lol:
31960754_2166869209996572_5897946212962664448_n[1].jpg

My Dixie Rainbow is the only girl I’ve gotten double yolkers from! You’ll love them, they have tons of personality! Good luck!

I have one rainbow hen. She is one of my very favorites. She is very friendly and did grow much quicker than other chicks of the same age bought at the same time. She is also much larger than them at full maturity. I can vouch for laying brown medium-large eggs. Sometimes she lays eggs the same size as my others (Easter Eggers, barred rocks, orpingtons, wyandottes, etc.) but sometimes she lays eggs so large they won't fit in all of my egg cartons and wouldn't fit in my incubator correctly either. :lol:
View attachment 1387350

She looks like my girl!
EFA3B2FD-1B04-491B-BCD0-9960A60845FC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom