Ever seen anything like this? Rooster Farm??

heybarb

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
North Carolina
While driving around the mountains of NC today, our family drove past a "farm" that appears to only have roosters. I've never seen anything like it before and wanted to get your thoughts...These are a couple of pictures I took. Any idea what they are doing and how do they keep the roosters in their specific area? They had two big fields full of these little individual "houses."

The roosters you saw are fighting cocks, sadly, this is very common down south and the roosters are on cables/mini collars....so they do not fight with their neighbor. Some are worth a lot of money.....

If memory serves me in some areas it's okay to breed them and raise them, but not fight them. I'm in OH and there was a house here that had them, he transported them out of state.

When I lived up in the mountains and frequently saw groups of tethered roosters with individual, blue barrels as housing I always hoped that they were prized show birds and breeding stock.

I fear that I was often wrong, but frequently the rooster's part of the property was the most meticulously-kept and well-tended area in sight so it was obvious that, whatever their purpose, they were highly valued.

Once in the 70's my parents thought it would be a great idea to settle in the mountains of NC on 50 acres. Went to a flea market, and my mom saw the prettiest rooster ever. She asked the price, $150. The look on her face must have prompted the seller to say "Mam, them there is fighten' birds". She went home with a bottle goat instead. So many stories about that goat!

My husband didn't know what the "barrel village" was either when he saw his first one in Tennessee. It's legal to breed and house them like that for "exhibition". They can be quite valuable.

Each rooster has his hut with a cord tied around his leg. Not sure where the hens live, if any are on the property.

There are some people who are legit breeders, they are pretty birds. Others, not so legit.

th.gif
Awwww

Back
Top Bottom