Escapee chicken

HollyHens

In the Brooder
May 15, 2022
Hello all

I love reading your posts. Gives me wonderful ideas and tips, so thank you.

I have a small issue in that one of my rescue hens seems to have a taste for the wild. We have secured the coop as much as possible, yet every night when I go to tuck them in, she’s in next door’s bramble bush, happily sitting under the thorns.

I’ve been in to get her every night and have tried to secure the gaps but have no idea where she’s getting out, but in the meantime, is there a reason she wants to sit there and should I try to stop it? There doesn’t seem to be any danger as far as I’m aware.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Holly (Kent, England)

Hello all

I love reading your posts. Gives me wonderful ideas and tips, so thank you.

I have a small issue in that one of my rescue hens seems to have a taste for the wild. We have secured the coop as much as possible, yet every night when I go to tuck them in, she’s in next door’s bramble bush, happily sitting under the thorns.

I’ve been in to get her every night and have tried to secure the gaps but have no idea where she’s getting out, but in the meantime, is there a reason she wants to sit there and should I try to stop it? There doesn’t seem to be any danger as far as I’m aware.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Holly (Kent, England)
Hello Holly.
Kent has daytime hunting foxes so this would be my main concern.
Ex Battery hens don't now much about the outside world and how to survive in it. The Ex Battery hens I look after much prefer to be out in all weathers while the rescues who have had more experience tend to be more mindfull of the weather and the risks of whatever degree of freedom they have.
I would watch her close to dusk if that is when she heads for the brambles and find out where she's getting out of your garden and block the gap off.

It sounds like she may be broody if she wants to sit on the ground under bushes. Are there any eggs under there?

Back
Top Bottom