Electric Netting Questions

Tree Goat

Chirping
Mar 26, 2020
Waldorf, MD
Hello Poultry Pals!!!

First, thanks for this site; excellent!!! I really like the "portability" option to give the birds additional grazing areas, so I'm looking seriously at this option (see pic below). Have already had a few large predators at night clawing at the coop and scaring the cute birds.

I read quite a few articles on and off this site regarding electric netting. I could not find a direct answer to this question: How does the electric netting keep critters, etc., out of the run below "ground level" by digging under the fence? Are critter habits such they will "paw at the fence first" and get the harmless shock first before attempting to dig under the electric netting? Thanks in advance Poultry Pals!!!

1589049092231.png

Hello Poultry Pals!!!

First, thanks for this site; excellent!!! I really like the "portability" option to give the birds additional grazing areas, so I'm looking seriously at this option (see pic below). Have already had a few large predators at night clawing at the coop and scaring the cute birds.

I read quite a few articles on and off this site regarding electric netting. I could not find a direct answer to this question: How does the electric netting keep critters, etc., out of the run below "ground level" by digging under the fence? Are critter habits such they will "paw at the fence first" and get the harmless shock first before attempting to dig under the electric netting? Thanks in advance Poultry Pals!!!

View attachment 2130469
Great question! I’m just getting into electric netting and would like to hear what response you get! I have electric netting as a run for a guinea coop, and have not had predator digging, but the guineas are in the secure coop at night. I’m also wondering what people’s experience with hawks and electric netting is.

Gonna shock your birds causing them stress if not killing them.

You're the first person who has this observation. I surly do not want to hurt animals. Do you have real time experience with your comment? And what kind of system do you recommend? I am trying to ensure the bird's safety and do not want them harmed or killed by any system I install or from a predator. I like the mobility factor of electric fencing. )))

Would still like comments on my initial ground perimeter question.

Last edited:
Great question! I’m just getting into electric netting and would like to hear what response you get! I have electric netting as a run for a guinea coop, and have not had predator digging, but the guineas are in the secure coop at night. I’m also wondering what people’s experience with hawks and electric netting is.
I'm reading more on the risk to the health of the flock. The pulsing fences are the least risk for injuring birds. It is best to buy a fence that has a design for the least risk of entangling a bird (will probably die if entangled). Once a flock bird experiences the slight shock, they never go close to the fence again.

https://poultryowner.com/can-an-electric-fence-kill-a-chicken/ A good article on the pros and cons.

"...pulsing electric fence is a low-risk option – simply delivering a momentary shock which prompts the hen to retreat. While there’s risk of serious harm if the chicken becomes tangled in the fence, there are ways to mitigate this risk."

For me, the "keep the predator out and fence mobility" aspect are the most appealing parts of the electric option.

Gives me a little pause to think this through more thoroughly. The electric fence can kill smaller birds like Robins, etc., snakes too.

Will sleep on this option.

I'm reading more on the risk to the health of the flock. The pulsing fences are the least risk for injuring birds. It is best to buy a fence that has a design for the least risk of entangling a bird (will probably die if entangled). Once a flock bird experiences the slight shock, they never go close to the fence again.

https://poultryowner.com/can-an-electric-fence-kill-a-chicken/ A good article on the pros and cons.

"...pulsing electric fence is a low-risk option – simply delivering a momentary shock which prompts the hen to retreat. While there’s risk of serious harm if the chicken becomes tangled in the fence, there are ways to mitigate this risk."

For me, the "keep the predator out and fence mobility" aspect are the most appealing parts of the electric option.

Gives me a little pause to think this through more thoroughly. The electric fence can kill smaller birds like Robins, etc., snakes too.

Will sleep on this option.
Lots of people use poultry electric netting. Feathers insulate from the shock, so they feel it less than some other animals. I’ve only used it with guineas fowl so far; they try to stay away from it but they do run or fly into it regularly still, when chased by another guinea. Here’s a pic of their setup, with a nylon net covering since guineas fly well. I’m interested in trying this along with a chicken tractor for our chickens as well. Our concern is mostly the hawks in an open topped setup for chickens, as the mesh top is what takes the most time to set up.

Attachments

• 5FBE15AB-CD43-4750-9879-5AC56CAA6218.jpeg
    5FBE15AB-CD43-4750-9879-5AC56CAA6218.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Gonna shock your birds causing them stress if not killing them.
NOT!
My flock has been contained behind poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt charger for nearly 2 years. Yes, when they were first introduced to the fence, a handful of birds got a pop if her comb touched the fence. She'd run back into the run after setting the flock off with a panic alert. Last years pullets and cockerels, all 18 of them, have never touched the fence. They all learned from the first batch to avoid the fence. The only time they get shocked is if their comb or wattles touch the fence. NOTHING happens if their feathers touch.
But the neighbors dogs have gotten a good pop from the fence.
Mine too.
ME too!
It hurts for a split second and that's it. It's an excellent deterrent to ground predators. I've never lost a bird that was inside the pen.

To answer the question, predators don't test things with their feet. They use their nose to sniff. They will get a pop to the nose and go running off in the opposite direction.

Depending on what type of predator you are looking to deter, you will size your charger accordingly. I don't believe continuous chargers are easy to come by because they are so dangerous. Nearly all of them pulse. I have a black bear living in the woods behind my house as well as visiting coyote packs, fox, raccoons, fisher cats and the aforementioned neighbors dogs so I use a punchy charger - it has 1.2 Joule output.

Last edited:
NOT!
My flock has been contained behind poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt charger for nearly 2 years. Yes, when they were first introduced to the fence, a handful of birds got a pop if her comb touched the fence. She'd run back into the run after setting the flock off with a panic alert. Last years pullets and cockerels, all 18 of them, have never touched the fence. They all learned from the first batch to avoid the fence. The only time they get shocked is if their comb or wattles touch the fence. NOTHING happens if their feathers touch.
But the neighbors dogs have gotten a good pop from the fence.
Mine too.
ME too!
It hurts for a split second and that's it. It's an excellent deterrent to ground predators. I've never lost a bird that was inside the pen.

To answer the question, predators don't test things with their feet. They use their nose to sniff. They will get a pop to the nose and go running off in the opposite direction.

Depending on what type of predator you are looking to deter, you will size your charger accordingly. I don't believe continuous chargers are easy to come by because they are so dangerous. Nearly all of them pulse. I have a black bear living in the woods behind my house as well as visiting coyote packs, fox, raccoons, fisher cats and the aforementioned neighbors dogs so I use a punchy charger - it has 1.2 Joule output.

Thank you DobieLover...beautiful Dobie avatar BTW.

Lots of people use poultry electric netting. Feathers insulate from the shock, so they feel it less than some other animals. I’ve only used it with guineas fowl so far; they try to stay away from it but they do run or fly into it regularly still, when chased by another guinea. Here’s a pic of their setup, with a nylon net covering since guineas fly well. I’m interested in trying this along with a chicken tractor for our chickens as well. Our concern is mostly the hawks in an open topped setup for chickens, as the mesh top is what takes the most time to set up.
Thank you for being so informative. Nice overhead net system. And you have beautiful plump Guineas. What is the primary mission of your Guineas?

Back
Top Bottom