Egg on poop board, in a pile of poop

chickiegrrl

Chirping
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Monticello, MN
I went out to clean the coop/run and gather eggs. I found 2 eggs in the nest and one on the poo board, smushed into a big pile of poop. Do hens often lay eggs while they roost? Could this be because one of the hens had to lay but it was too dark for her to find her way to the nest this morning? It was dark here until 7:30 because it's cloudy and raining. Our RIR is usually the first to lay and it looked like her egg.

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

It's possible for them to lay while roosting but I would see that as very unusual. It doesn't seem like a comfortable place for laying. She probably laid it on the ground and it got smashed.

I had one lay a funky soft egg from/under the roost a couple of months ago... all has been good since. Not sure why they would want to, but everyone told me all was good too. :)

I had one lay a funky soft egg from/under the roost a couple of months ago... all has been good since. Not sure why they would want to, but everyone told me all was good too. :)

I'm glad it's been all good for you since the roost egg. The egg on my poop board was perfect. It made me sad, but we're on wormer withdrawal anyway, so it's no loss.

Yep. Other than the odd location, and it being a soft shelled egg, all was fine, and has been fine. :)
In my short time with chickens, I have learned all sorts of funny stuff can happen. :)

Young pullets who are still working on their egg laying schedule will drop eggs all over the place. You'll get double yolkers, soft shells, and meat spots in the yolk. May take a month or two before things get sorted out.

..... In my short time with chickens, I have learned all sorts of funny stuff can happen. :)
^^^Agrees^^^ LOL

I've found an egg on the poop board a couple times in the last week...or rather the remains of an egg.
I think one hen laid there for who knows what reason and it got stepped on then eaten, luckily no eggs in the nests have been eaten.
A couple of my hens roost on the edge of the poop board instead of on the roost 8" above it.

Just happened yesterday, as a matter of fact. And it was smashed like a fried egg on hash browns, emphasis on browns.

It was a soft shelled egg, and I've noticed that seems to be the case with most eggs slipping out during the night on the roost. It's not real common, but happens from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom