Eeenie Meenie Minee Mo...

Mama Knucker Hatch

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Hi there!

I am a newbie baby chicken owner, and I'm almost embarassed to admit that I still can't make heads or tails out of some of my order. I've got just about everybody figured out, except I'm not confident on the differences between Speckled Sussex, Ameraucanas, and Golden Campines as chicks...especially the Golden Campine.

For some background, I ordered 10 baby chicks from Mypetchicken.com, and 12 arrived, but I know that the extras were a Barred Rock and Silkie. If my order is correct, I should have 1 Speckled Sussex, 2 Ameraucanas and 1 Golden Campine in the mix. I don't have anything that looks like the one or two pics I've seen of Golden Campine chicks.

Anyone want to give a best guess on the following suspects?

This girl has always been the most striking and is very friendly, flying up to my hand always when offered. Her head is much lighter than the other brown girls, but my first guess is she is an Ameraucana with those dark feet:
751075161_c374bb47f4.jpg

751926678_c0416f12a8.jpg

Is this little one on the top a Speckled Sussex? (one on bottom is the girl above...and what is the chick in the middle?)
751075487_728360ae01.jpg

Mystery chick...very close in appearance to the middle chick above with the eye streak.
751926996_f8614f1fdb.jpg

Does anyone see a Golden Campine in any of these or have a picture I could view of their Golden Campine at about three weeks? Any thoughts thrown my way would be so appreciated. I hate not knowing who they are at this age!

Warm Regards,

Mama Knucker Hatch

Last edited:
I couldn't get your pictures but I have two golden campines. Mine are 5 weeks old now. One major difference between my golden campines and americaunas is the leg coloring. The golden campines have blue legs. Here is some pics of mine.
HPIM0481.jpg

HPIM0473.jpg

chickiesday3003.jpg

I hope this helps! I remember when mine were younger they almost looked leopard print!

Oh interesting Judy Mae...

Thanks for the pics. Based on your last pic, it looks like what I thought was my Speckled Sussex might actually be the Golden Campine. She has dark feet and a very similar "leopard looking" face. She's very quiet, but a speed racer when I want to catch her!

VERY helpful. Thank you. So...three left to identify....

New Question: Does this now become a process of elimination based on feet color? In other words the Speckled Sussex should have the pink feet and Ameraucanas should have dark feet, or is that not always the case?

Mama Knucker Hatch

Last edited:
I should have added that my golden campines are fast! Like you said about 'speed racer'. We call our golden girls road runners because they can MOVE! I didn't realize that could be a breed thing. But it might be.

The Mystery chick is your Speckled Sussex. When you ask if the top chick in the 2nd to last pic is the SS, I believe that might be your Golden Campine. I forgot the rest of your questions if there was any,lol.

Thank you everyone for your help. Your info shines a light on why I was a little confused. I ordered 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Golden Campine and 1 Speckled Sussex. It looks like they gave me 1 Ameraucana, 1 Golden Campine and 2 Speckled Sussex.

My Ameraucana is a special girl...so I hope she just lays twice as many pretty eggs.
smile.png

Warm Regards,

Mama Knucker Hatch

Back
Top Bottom