Ear Color Hypothesis

The Hypothesis has no genetic basis to stand on.

White Earlobes and White face trait in Chickens are a Polygenic Trait with some of those genes beign Sex Linked but most are Autosomal.

The Red Jungle Fowl has White Earlobes, The introgresion of Grey Jungle Fowl not only Brought Yellow Skin/Shanks but also red earlobes, interestingly enough the Green Junglefowl being a Basal Junglefowl has the most colorful of faces and when outcrossed to White Face Spanish The F1 show complete White Face.

I've been thinking of a creating a Blue Faced breed with White Face Spanish and Mosaics.
I don’t think the hypothesis is outside of genetics either, even if it’s not based on genetic facts. OP thinks that the white earlobes are caused by an extra layer of skin.

Ah, there's a nice concise statement:
"The presence of white earlobes is due to purine base deposition and the formation of other color earlobe is attributed to the mixture of different pigments including melanin or carotenoid."

Once I look up several terms that were unfamiliar, I think I understand it.

The Hypothesis has no genetic basis to stand on.

White Earlobes and White face trait in Chickens are a Polygenic Trait with some of those genes beign Sex Linked but most are Autosomal.

The Red Jungle Fowl has White Earlobes, The introgresion of Grey Jungle Fowl not only Brought Yellow Skin/Shanks but also red earlobes, interestingly enough the Green Junglefowl being a Basal Junglefowl has the most colorful of faces and when outcrossed to White Face Spanish The F1 show complete White Face.

I've been thinking of a creating a Blue Faced breed with White Face Spanish and Mosaics.

A few questions,

1. If red itself was a result of skin pigmentation, I think I could more easily understand red vs white being only about pigmentation. Everything I've seen says red is just from vascularization, which makes it seem like the skin must be completely uncolored / transparent. I suppose that's partly what led me to suppose skin thickness must be involved...
If skin can be transparent, or colored vividly, on the same density of a canvas... I want to understand how those pigments work.

2. WFBS ears are not just long and wide, but also protrude further outward from the head, and have a thick appearance. Is that controlled by different genes not related at all to color?
I asked breeders in a WFBS group and they only offered links that didn't even broach the subject. Is it all skin, is there other tissue underneath?

3. The studies and articles supplied so far have been talking about "purines" which are apparently a very foundational molecule that can make up all sorts of stuff. Thus, it's not a pigment per say, but could help make it. That's my very rudimentary understanding, anyone please feel free to correct me.
With that in mind, what genetics are controlling which colors and factors - do any of them have names?

4. In my attempt to cross WFBS with Mosaics, my main goal is to get the blue onto the faces, in a good rich saturation.
Ideally, I'd like to aim for a medium ear, not hanging down. Although I deliberately chose WFBS stock from a breeder with the extreme version, since it's going to be diluted making the cross. I'm curious if selecting for midsize ears would pull the blue back off their faces in subsequent generations?

Back
Top Bottom