Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

Hi.

@Papaye, here is a helpful article you might want to read about humanely and quickly culling.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-sick-babies.72140/?page=3#ams-comment-524444

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your poor rooster:hugs

Thank you very much!!

I looked at the article yesterday.

I did not know such methods existed.
And I don't know if I would have the means to do that in France, or if it would be legal; or even if using ether would be possible for me (since I have really severe allergies)...
...But learning about alternatives that are not cruel and bloody feels good...!

Thank you again.

...I'm keeping Apache alive for now : indeed, I'm trying to save him.

I don't understand how, and I really did not expect that, but : he is feeling better today!
(And I was soooo persuaded I would fin him dead this morning...!!)
So, I am giving him his chance to survive.

And, don’t put him back with the chickens anymore.

I don't.
But they can see each others, so Apache does not feel alone.

Also, clean him up.

I won't clean him up for now : he is not dirty enough to need a bath, thanksfully! (I checked.)

And I really don't feel it would be a good idea : the last two times I have cleaned sick (and dying) chickens, they each died in the minutes that followed...
Or I am not lucky, or they may have died more quickly because of me...?
(No cold or nothing, since I kept them inside... Did not even have the time to dry them!)

He probably smells due to sitting in his own poo.

Not even...
He just smells like a dying animal. But less today than yesterday!

This is the first time I smell an animal smelling like death that would smell better the next day! (I am optimistic, now!)

It's best to use high doses of pure b2 vitamins, & it's impossible to overdose it. Poultry vitamins often lack enough of it.

Thank you.
I did not know it was impossible to overdose with Vitamin B2!! (Good to know.)
Thanksfully, because otherwise, I could have been very much stupid with the dosage... (I panicked, so of course I gave Apache too much than necessary - and not only with the juice!)

Concerning poultry vitamins... the reason I used that first was because the dosage of Vitamins B2 was high. That actually was the reason I bought it...
(But that was NOT the only source of B2 I gave to Apache : he did have so much B2 I then felt like I may have been doing something bad to him...)

As for death poop, I had a dying pet hen in 2022, & she never had a funk.

A "funk"... is a strong smell, right?

Get over yourself and help the poor guy out of his misery.

...Easy to say, but not easy to do...

...I would have already put Apache down if I could... so I would be sure to save him from suffering...
(Or I would have asked to somebody, but the one that could in my area has a reputation to hurt animals for pleasure, and... it's winter, and I'm in the countryside with dangerous roads, and it's just a difficult situation that is occuring in a really bad time...)
But when we can't, we can't. Or nobody would have phobias anymore - or something...

This is one of the important things when keeping animals:

Don't let them suffer!

Of course, I agree with you.

...Nevertheless : that was very unexpected, but Apache survived the night, and is doing a bit better today!
So, I'm giving him his chance. I now feel hopeful for him...!

Talking to people AND seeing Apache to do better this morning got me optimistic.
(Life sometimes does unexpected things...!! I mean... Apache IS alive today again!!!)

Easy to say, but not easy to do...
I know this from my own experience.

The first time I had to do it, left me crying and sad. This was decades ago, but I still remember it.
Nevertheless : that was very unexpected, but Apache survived the night, and is doing a bit better today!
Hopefully he will pull through.

Did you check him for lice and mites? When did you last deworm him?

If he were my chicken, I would start him on the direct vit B2 therapy as @MysteryChicken laid out. It can't hurt him and it may help. Better than just letter "nature take it course" so to speak.

I have never had to put a chicken down, but I am sure my time is coming. I would do everything at my disposal to help first.

...Easy to say, but not easy to do...

...I would have already put Apache down if I could... so I would be sure to save him from suffering...
(Or I would have asked to somebody, but the one that could in my area has a reputation to hurt animals for pleasure, and... it's winter, and I'm in the countryside with dangerous roads, and it's just a difficult situation that is occuring in a really bad time...)
But when we can't, we can't. Or nobody would have phobias anymore - or something...
Ok, I killed my first chicken when I was nine. Your gonna be fine, lop his head off and move on. Its a chicken, people, a chicken.

Did you check him for lice and mites? When did you last deworm him?

Yes, of course!

He had (and has) no lice or mites, and just in case, I treated him for these in prevention - so lice don't get the idea to suck the blood of Apache (since he is weaker).

He is also dewormed. Totally and completly.
Without taking into account the Apple Cider Vinegar I mix to my birds' water sometimes, they all have an unlimited access to their dewormer - that is 100% natural, effective, and very good for their health.
So, no worms to worry about...

If he were my chicken, I would start him on the direct vit B2 therapy as @MysteryChicken laid out. It can't hurt him and it may help. Better than just letter "nature take it course" so to speak.

I... never stopped giving him B2.
I keep doing that - and I give him much more than necessery -, but there is no results...

...When I am talking about Apache elsewhere, I am actually told his condition could be caused by a stroke or an injury to the head...
What I already thought, as I told in this thread...!!

But in addition, I am told the injury was probably from long before I brought him home - what would explain why he already was so weak since then...

...I am precisely told that my Apache :
- could have been injured on the head (picked on) in his PREVIOUS flock ("previous flock", since he never fought with any of MY chickens);
- he could have had a stroke when he was a chick, or even when he was NOT YET BORN!

The fact he COULD have had a stroke when he was still in his egg actually surprised me...
Is it REALLY a thing...?
If so : does that happen often?

He is also dewormed. Totally and completly.
Without taking into account the Apple Cider Vinegar I mix to my birds' water sometimes, they all have an unlimited access to their dewormer - that is 100% natural, effective, and very good for their health.
So, what exactly did/do you use for deworming?

the injury was probably from long before I brought him home - what would explain why he already was so weak since then...
If I understand you right, he was already weak/ill when you brought him into your flock?

For how long did you quarantine him if at all prior to adding him?

Thank you.
I did not know it was impossible to overdose with Vitamin B2!! (Good to know.)
Thanksfully, because otherwise, I could have been very much stupid with the dosage... (I panicked, so of course I gave Apache too much than necessary - and not only with the juice!)

Concerning poultry vitamins... the reason I used that first was because the dosage of Vitamins B2 was high. That actually was the reason I bought it...
(But that was NOT the only source of B2 I gave to Apache : he did have so much B2 I then felt like I may have been doing something bad to him...)
You're welcome.

Yes, it can be kinda scary dosing a bird for anything reason. Somethings need careful dosing, while others are perfectly safe, & don't need to be exact.

Could you be dealing with Marek’s? If the bird is suffering and is showing no sign of improvement I would recommend humane euthanasia by a vet. Sorry 😢 looks like a handsome boy
I was thinking the same.

If there are no signs of pain you don’t need to kill him. I recall right a little paracetamol could ease the pain but aspirin is not good to give because it’s poisonous for chickens (do check).

Back
Top Bottom