Ducks on Artificial Grass???

Jun 16, 2018
Hello,
I don’t know whether I’m posting this in the right section because I’m new!!!
Anyway, a bit about myself... we keep lots of show-winning ducks to breed from, and we keep them on acres of grass. However, I recently came across a lovely pair of abacot call ducks and I have now reserved them. However, due to calls getting wet feather easily, I would either have to keep them in a raised run or put artificial grass mats in a run, on top of concrete slabs. I am worried that the raised runs will look messy, so I am hoping to use the second option. Does anyone have any experience with keeping poultry on artificial grass? Would it hurt their feet or wings? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pictures of the calls when I get them!
Thanks once again,
James

When we want to contain our boys in a smaller section of yard for whatever reason but still allow them to be outside, we have them on a cement slab that we have put artificial grass over for them. They actually prefer this area. It's shaded so it stays cool (artificial grass can get hot in the sun).

When they're in that smaller area, they still have plenty of things to do. We got them two Rubbermaid totes, the kind that go under your bed. One is full of water and the other is full of dirt. They LOVE making mug and playing in it. Sometimes I'll dump worms in there and they go to town finding them.

It keeps the cement cleaner underneath and every few days we pick up the grass, hang it on the fence, and just pressure wash the poop and it's like brand new again

When we want to contain our boys in a smaller section of yard for whatever reason but still allow them to be outside, we have them on a cement slab that we have put artificial grass over for them. They actually prefer this area. It's shaded so it stays cool (artificial grass can get hot in the sun).

When they're in that smaller area, they still have plenty of things to do. We got them two Rubbermaid totes, the kind that go under your bed. One is full of water and the other is full of dirt. They LOVE making mug and playing in it. Sometimes I'll dump worms in there and they go to town finding them.

It keeps the cement cleaner underneath and every few days we pick up the grass, hang it on the fence, and just pressure wash the poop and it's like brand new again

Which brand do you use? How much was it?

Have you used the grass for the actual run?
No, I had deep litter in the majority of the run and pea gravel around a small in-ground stock tank. However, I'd never use pea gravel again and don't recommend it. The faux grass was only on a small ramp and it was actually more like cheap outdoor carpet. It was just something I order off of Amazon to give my ramp traction. It was stapled to plywood. I don't think it would work well for a bigger or more permanent situation though. I think you'd have to go with the real deal and I have no experience with that. Check out that link though. It talks about use over several years.

OK, last question, would you suggest mats that we could take out and power wash, or integrated grass?
Thanks.
James
No, I had deep litter in the majority of the run and pea gravel around a small in-ground stock tank. However, I'd never use pea gravel again and don't recommend it. The faux grass was only on a small ramp and it was actually more like cheap outdoor carpet. It was just something I order off of Amazon to give my ramp traction. It was stapled to plywood. I don't think it would work well for a bigger or more permanent situation though. I think you'd have to go with the real deal and I have no experience with that. Check out that link though. It talks about use over several years.

OK, last question, would you suggest mats that we could take out and power wash, or integrated grass?
Thanks.
James
I've never used mats but I guess it would all depend. If you're talking like stall mats, those things are really heavy and I doubt you'd want to be moving them around once they are in. Maybe you could rinse them off from inside the run. Just a regular garden hose should be enough to get them clean if you do it often. If you went with cheaper mats I would worry about them getting cuts and holes that the ducks start to pick out and eat. But like I said, I've never used them so it's all guesses.

Not sure what you mean by integrated grass.

We got ours from Costco a couple of years ago. We did the dog's side of the yard with the fake grass because they tore my real grass up. We just had pieces leftover from then that just happened to work in the closed in area. I didn't staple or tack to down because I like being able to wash it while it hangs on the fence. I did find that ordering online from Costco was cheaper than getting the rolls of it at the store. That and you can customize the length of it better.

Integrated grass is where it is fixed into the ground, permanently. What breeds do you have?
I've never used mats but I guess it would all depend. If you're talking like stall mats, those things are really heavy and I doubt you'd want to be moving them around once they are in. Maybe you could rinse them off from inside the run. Just a regular garden hose should be enough to get them clean if you do it often. If you went with cheaper mats I would worry about them getting cuts and holes that the ducks start to pick out and eat. But like I said, I've never used them so it's all guesses.

Not sure what you mean by integrated grass.

Back
Top Bottom